Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

December 2nd, 2008 20:00

installing a second cd/dvd drive and the serial ata cable

I am installing a second cd/dvd drive into my computer.  The first drive worked great but recently doesn't read DVDs well but works fine for all other opperations.  So I bought a second dvd drive.  The problem is that the computer cannot find it.  It has power and opens and closes but when a dvd or cd is put in the computer doesn't read it and cannot find the drive.  I know it has to do with the serial ATA Connector and where it is pluged in to the motherboard.  The motherboard has two slots where the old dvd and the hard drive are plugged in (sata0 and sata1) and both of those connections work fine.  Then there are four more serial ata connectors available on the motherboard (sata2 . . sata5) and when I plug the new dvd drive serial ata cable into any of those slots the computer cannot find the drive yet when I plug the new dvd drive in to where the old dvd drive serial ata cable was plugged into (sata1) the computer finds it just fine.  SO... how do I get both drives to work and transfer data?  How do I get the computer to find both dvd drives?

4.4K Posts

December 3rd, 2008 04:00

You may need to enter the bios setup program for your computer and enable Sata 2 or 3 if presently not enabled. Check that first.

5 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 10:00

Thanks.. that was what it was.  Now my computer finds the drive.  However it doesn't solve the problem I was hopeing it to solve.  When ever I play a dvd on my computer, regardless of the program I use (i.e. media player, media center, quicktime), all I see are colored blocks and occationally parts of the movie.  The sound is fine but I cannot clear up the picture.  Any thoughts??

Aaron D.

799 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 10:00

Hello adekelver, Do you have a DVD player Program? If not, the DVD defaults to the Windows Media Player. Not good.

You can do a Google search for DVD players and find some there.

You may even have a DVD player program on your system. If you do, you can set it to be the defalut DVD Player program.

I just noticed that you bought a new DVD device.

Most of these come with a DVD Player Program. If it did, you can install the program and you should be fine.

Keep us posted and we can see if any of these suggestions help, and if not, suggest others.

5 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 16:00

Here are the players that I have on my computer and they all do the exact same thing; colored blocks that do not allow you to see the movie played from a DVD.  I have recorded video on my computer and that shows up but not from any dvd that is placed in the drive.

Windows Media Center

Windows Media player

Real Player

InterActual Player

QuickTime

again.. all of these programs have the same result.  This problem is only about a month old and, unfortunetly, restoring to a earlier point on my computer doesn't work either.  Not too sure on where this problem is coming from as I have a new dvd drive, tried using more than one program and all of my drivers are up to date, and my graphics card works fine; all my other programs don't have any problems with graphics or video clips.  Thanks again everyone for all the help.

1 Message

December 28th, 2008 09:00

Hi,

I've been using the media player VLC. This player can play a large variety of formats and I have had no problems with it, which is more than I can say for Windows Media Player. IF you want give it a try.

Here is a link:

http://www.download.com/VLC-Media-Player/3000-13632_4-10267151.html

Hope that helps...

5 Posts

December 28th, 2008 13:00

A very interesting player.  Never seen it before.  And... That's why it works!!!  Thanks for the info and help.  It fixed the main problem.

No Events found!