Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2005 02:00

installing new hard drive by myself void warranty?

Hello!
My laptop , Inspiron 5100 , has so far had the mother board replaced, the cd/dvd rom drive replaced, and the network card replaced, along with many many other problems.... i havent had it for 2 years yet.  Well now my hard drive needs to be replaced after much conversing over the phone with dell for hours...
I paid for the expensive "at home" service yet they want me to install the new hard drive, I was wondering, will this 1) void the warranty, and 2) willl further damages (which i am sure there will be) covered since I was told by Dell to install the new hard drive myself, and 3) can I get my laptop replaced since this will be more than the 3rd thing replaced on my $2,000 computer???
Thank you soo much

7.9K Posts

March 15th, 2005 03:00

hard drives (like ram) are considered user replaceable parts.  they're a snap to install and it won't void your warranty.  if you need help you can call up dell tech support and have them walk you through it.  good luck, and post back if you need more information

also: dell will keep repairing your system until they can't -- don't hope for a replacement unless the expensive parts break and they're out of spares

Message Edited by NemesisDB on 03-15-2005 12:46 AM

March 15th, 2005 04:00

Just to ease your mind a little more, you can take apart your laptop and do work (not that you want to) and it won't void the warranty.

11.9K Posts

March 15th, 2005 10:00

@lemon4alaptop wrote:
Hello!
My laptop , Inspiron 5100 , has so far had the mother board replaced, the cd/dvd rom drive replaced, and the network card replaced, along with many many other problems.... i havent had it for 2 years yet.  Well now my hard drive needs to be replaced after much conversing over the phone with dell for hours...
I paid for the expensive "at home" service yet they want me to install the new hard drive, I was wondering, will this 1) void the warranty, and 2) willl further damages (which i am sure there will be) covered since I was told by Dell to install the new hard drive myself, and 3) can I get my laptop replaced since this will be more than the 3rd thing replaced on my $2,000 computer???
Thank you soo much

Why would Dell ask you to replace the hard drive if it would void the warranty...? 

If your laptop has repeated repairs for the same problem, you may get Dell to declare it a lemon, or your state may have lemon laws for computers.

307 Posts

March 15th, 2005 13:00

Also if Dell asked you to replace it they can't use it as leverage to void your warrenty... Not that it would anyways...
No Events found!