Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2009 06:00

my CD/DVD burner refuses to burn!

I've tried two different programs, both get about  a third of the way through a burn and it stops, kicks the disk out.  We have had problems with the drive opening up and closing for a little while.  The computer is a year old this past May.  There is no where to get answers from Dell about what we can do.  Can anybody help me??  I just needed to buy a new keyboard last night, this computer is falling apart!!!!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2009 16:00

Hi, Fugman:

Has your burning problem just started? When is the last time you were able to burn something?

Also, please post your computer model and OS.

3 Posts

July 23rd, 2009 06:00

Well, the problem with the drive opening started a few months ago, right out of warranty.  The problem with burning started a couple of weeks ago.

I have a Inspiron 530 running XP Home, service pack 2!

When we go to open the disk, sometimes we have to open the tray 7 or 8 times before it actually opens!  Then when we go to close it, it gets stuck on the door!

We've tried Roxio and Nero 7, it stops burning shortly after it starts, and kicks the disk out!

any help would be appreciated!  We are frustrated!!!

50 Posts

July 23rd, 2009 07:00

Nero is the worst program in the world. If you have 4.7gb disks, use DVDSanta. If you have 8.5, try ConvertXtoDVD

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 23rd, 2009 16:00

Hi, fugman:

While Nero and Roxio are both good programs, installing both can create problems with the infamous "upper and lower filters". So go to the CD/DVD FAQ and follow the instructions under "code 39 error" to delete these filters.

After you have done that, I want you to do two things. First, use the Nero Infotool to determine the manufacturer of your blank DVD discs. Not all DVDmedia are created equal!! Second, try a simulated burn using Nero before you try an actual burn. If everything goes well, then your next project should burn properly. If the simulation does not pass, please tell me what problems you are having.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 23rd, 2009 16:00

Hi, Danshevik:

While I appreciate your contribution, this forum is for suggesting help, not offering off-the-cuff opinions. Regardless of the program being used, this forum member likely has a problem that will not be solved by wasting more money on software.

3 Posts

July 24th, 2009 06:00

I did remove the one program before I loaded the other!!  Also, I have used the same make of discs since I started burning.  I have always used Sony's I have tried simulated burns, they all work fine, it isn't until we get to burn on the actual disc that we have problems.  The drive plays music CD's all the way through, and we are able to load programs from disc, it is just the burning part that is screwed up!

Also, I still have problems with the drive opening and closing.  I know I probably need a new drive but we only bought this thing a year May!  I've replaced the keyboard now, and I need to replace the drive.  we spent $1300 on a computer system so we wouldn't have to upgrade for a little while!!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 25th, 2009 07:00

Ok, before you do anything else, the drive opening & closing can sometimes be caused by a loose cable. Open up your system and make sure the data cable is secure.

If that doesn't help, a new drive is going to cost you about $25-30, and will likely solve both problems. I think it's worth considering. Your system requires an SATA drive, not IDE/PATA.

No Events found!