Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 13th, 2008 10:00

new HD in Inspiron 1100

My original Hitachi Travelstar HD fails the DST test (error code 1000-0142) and 2 of the Dell Diagnostics drive tests, and it's 5 years old, so time to replace it. I have backed up my data to an external hard drive and I have the OS & Resources discs, both of which I have been able to use successfully in the past, and I know how to remove the drive and how to remove it from the caddy.

I've browsed the Laptop/Hard Drive board on the old Dell Forum and I think I understand the process (thanks ejn63 for your informative posts there) but would like some confirmation that I have it right. It seems that I can buy any 9.5 mm PATA ATA 100 drive of 100MB or less. When I get it I will take the old drive out of its caddy and remove the pin adapter. Then I will put the new one & the pin adapter in the caddy and put it back into the computer. Then reinstall the OS & drivers in the usual way.

Is that correct?

The drive I am looking at is the Western Digital 800BEVE 80GB PATA 5400rpm bulk hard drive from ZipZoomfly for $55.

Jim

Edit: My biggest concern is whether the new drive's pins will work with my computer. I took out the old drive and removed the pin adapter to see what it looks like. Will the old adapter fit any 9.5 mm PATA hard drive ?

950 Posts

November 16th, 2008 08:00

Your scenario is correct. And the hard drive adapater will fit any IDE PATA hd pins.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 16th, 2008 11:00

SlamX,

Thanks for the reply. I ordered the hard drive and if it works I'll come back here and verify your post.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 11th, 2009 14:00

SlamX,

It works great. Sorry it took so long to get back here and verify your reply, but I rather dumbly left the e-mail notification with the link to this thread on the old hard drive. I only just now put the old hard drive back in for a minute to retrieve it.

No Events found!