Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

1 Rookie

• 

159 Posts

March 28th, 2009 05:00

newly added DVD+RW Plextor SATA drive causes "drive not found" at boot, but all ok in WinXP

I have added a Plextor PX-810SA SATA drive in my Dimension 9200.

I have enabled the SATA 3 port in Setup.

When I boot the system:

1) the Plextor drive is properly listed along the other SATA drives ("Port-03: CDROM, PLEXTOR DVDR PX-810SA")

2) a few lines below, POST reports: "DRIVE 3 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-3", then "press F1 to continue, F2 for Setup"

I press F1 and the Plextor drive is properly recognized and fully functional in Win XP. (if I press F2 at boot, the only strange thing is the "unknown drive" under the SATA 3 Port entry)

What is missing ?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 28th, 2009 06:00

Hi, benoitm:

The first thing I would do is reset the CMOS. Make sure you go through the various screens and write down all of the settings so you can reset them.

This will force the BIOS to re-recognize all hardware.

If that does not help, I would triple check to make sure the motherboard port and SATA port in system setup match.

1 Rookie

• 

159 Posts

March 31st, 2009 08:00

I've reset the Setup to factory defaults...did not help

An additional note: when I replace the factory-installed TSSTCorp DVD+R SATA drive with this Plextor, I get same problem, mutatis mutandis:

The drive is properly listed along the other SATA drives ("Port-02: CDROM, PLEXTOR DVDR PX-810SA")

but a few lines below, POST reports: "DRIVE 2 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-2", then "press F1 to continue, F2 for Setup"

In Setup the corresponding SATA port is enabled, but it says "unknown device" or someting in the like

Is this Plextor drive compatible with the Dim 9200 ??

Again: the drive is fully functional in the OS (WinXP), but the "press F1" thing during boot is annoying

1 Rookie

• 

159 Posts

April 8th, 2009 14:00

Help ! any more suggestion ?

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

April 9th, 2009 08:00

Help ! any more suggestion ?

Hi, Have you tried moving the cable to SATA 1 Port. That where I have my DVD drive.

No Events found!