Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2013 19:00

tsstcorp dvd+-rw ts-h653g "code 32"

I have an Inspiron 560 and my CD drive doesn't even appear in My Computer. I don't know how long this has been an issue as this had been the computer of another family member. Anyways, looking at another forum I tested if it was a physical issue by hitting F12 during startup and navigating to diagnostics just for the CD drive and it passed all of them. It physically opens. Device Manager recognizes it's there; I've uninstalled it and scanned again and it will come back just as it was. Code 32. I've tried updating drivers through windows and it says it's up to date. I've tried getting drivers from Dell and I get the message "Drive cannot be found".

I have no clue what to do next. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

3.1K Posts

March 25th, 2013 20:00

Hi Athecondor,

Code 32 for DVD drive indicates that the drive might be disabled. Please check in Device Manager if a there is a red X or an yellow exclamation mark on DVD drive.

If there is a red X -> right click on the DVD drive -> choose 'Enable.
If there is an yellow exclamation mark -> right click -> choose  'Uninstall'.

You may try to run the Fixit from the following link http://bit.ly/ibV0SO 

Please reply if you have any questions.

5 Posts

April 15th, 2013 11:00

It's frustrating cause I have the CD of drivers that came with the machine but I'm completely unable to use them.

5 Posts

April 15th, 2013 11:00

There is a yellow exclamation mark. I went ahead and uninstalled the CD drive related devices that aren't working (including even the Deamon Tools virtual drives that won't work). I ran the Fixit which discovered the devices and tried installing drivers but it reported that it failed in installing them.

I've done this before without the Fixit, uninstalling the devices and then scanning for hardware changes and installing the recommended drivers. Here's a picture of my device manager in the off chance it's useful.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 15th, 2013 17:00

Hi atthecondor,

Please uninstall whatever virtual drive utility you are using, reboot and check the code again.

5 Posts

April 15th, 2013 18:00

Uninstalling Daemon Tools eliminated the virtual drive issues, that seems like throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Anyway The DVD drive still has code 32.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 16th, 2013 17:00

Ok, so try the upper and lower filter trick (link below). If Fix-it doesn't work, follow the let me fix it myself procedure.

2 Posts

April 30th, 2013 11:00

Hello,

I have a Dell Studio XPS 8100 I purchased from Dell in Oct 2010. It has a TSST corpDVD+-RW TS-H653g player in it that has never worked. I see the device when I right click on the Windows button and then click on Properties however when I insert a disk (CD, Blueray etc) it does not recognize them. It keeps asking me to insert a disc.

I have checked in the control panel, systems, device manager, then DVD/CD ROM and it indicates the drivers are updated and the device is working. I also just went to the Dell site and update the firmware for the device. Maybe I am making the wrong assumption and this device is not a CD player. Any help in getting this device operational wwould be greatly appreciated. Thank you 

3.1K Posts

May 1st, 2013 04:00

Hi Dlhunted,

Since you have already updated the firmware and the issue persists, most likely the issue is with the optical drie itself and may require replacement.

You may try to use a bootable disc like operating system disc or the resource disc and check the optical drive is able to read discs. Insert the disc on the drive, then power off the computer. Restart the computer and tap F12 key on the Dell logo and choose the DVD drive option.

Please reply if you have any questions.

5 Posts

August 26th, 2013 09:00

The upper and lower filter Fix-it didn't work nor did the fix-it myself work. It searched for a removable drive and found none, then searched for a proper drive and found none.

After seeing the post about booting from a cd I tried it with a ubuntu live cd and it worked fine. So the cd drive does in fact work! But windows...I'm baffled.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 27th, 2013 16:00

Hi Athecondor,

Please try the registry edit procedure.

No Events found!