Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 8th, 2013 07:00

xps 8500 hard disk problems

Hello

Computer will not start normally or in safe mode. Chkdsk finds many unreadable files and dell diagnostics (f12) finds everything ok except hard disk and gives following info:- Msg hard drive 0-S/NZ2F0A4M0 Fail PSAV4220 Error 2000:0142 Short Self test unsuccessful.  failure to start preceded by a strange click from cpu.

Is my hard drive beyond redemption?  Does diagnostics run off hd?

Would be grateful for some advice

Many thanks.

2.6K Posts

Hello Cmdr Ashtar,

The error code 2000-0142 means the hard drive self-test failed and the hard drive needs to be replaced. 

Does the computer have an active warranty? You can check the warranty status here. Enter the service tag, click submit and check for the warranty status. In case of expired warranty scenario, we would not be able to extend warranty entitled services. If the warranty on the computer has expired, you may contact our Expired Warranty Services (this is for US based customers).

Please write back, I'd be glad to assist you further.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.  Another one bites the dust!

2.6K Posts

August 8th, 2013 10:00

Hello Cmdr Ashtar,

Please reach out to us if you need any further assistance.

August 8th, 2013 11:00

Thank you, its my third HDD fail in a year, (only this one in a Dell) .

What I don't understand is how I can put a broken HDD in an encasement & extract files, when it won't run in a PC, so they can be broken, but not broken ?

Is Windows the problem ?

548 Posts

August 9th, 2013 03:00

It could simple be that the when you have a smart predicated failure, the HDD logic is telling you it's running out of storage used to relocate the damaged bits of the platter. Since the HDD logic board uses a small nvram chip for this relocation space, when it does run out, faulty part of the disk can not be remapped and the associated files become corrupt.

In such instances, if the faulty bits belonged to some important windows boot files, since the file is now corrupt boot may fail. If the faulty bits belonged to your wedding video, since the file is now corrupt you may not be able to watch the video and you may be sleeping with the dog for not backing up prior to the SMART predicted failure.

If you can recover some files when a system won't boot, who knows what has changed? That's why it's important to use some tools chkdisk? to verify the file integrity before you relying on the file... You don't want to rely on that accounting data file with wrong numbers after all...

August 9th, 2013 08:00

Hi, the HDD was almost empty, a few PDFs & photos only, I don't do games either.

2.6K Posts

August 11th, 2013 02:00

Hello Cmdr Ashtar,

Sorry about the situation. Electronic devices are prone to failures hence we have warrantied the system in order to support it. Does the computer have an active warranty? You can check the warranty status here (Enter the service tag, click submit and check for the warranty status). In case of expired warranty scenario, we would not be able to extend warranty entitled services. If the warranty on the computer has expired, you may contact our Expired Warranty Services (this is for US based customers).

Hope this helps!

548 Posts

August 12th, 2013 01:00

@Cmdr, the hdd internal storage allocated for replacement of platter bad sectors is not very large so it doesn't take many defects to result in a predicted smart failure [:?]

Having said that, modern hdd are rather robust with some even having a g-sensor to park heads should you drop the laptop, so failures should be rare. But they are complex electo-mechanical devices so best to have a good backup strategy in place in case the worst happens - don't want to loose your photos after all....

And Dell is very good at warranty replacement of hdd that show faults via their hw test programs which is reassuring :emotion-1:

No Events found!