Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2013 03:00

Virtual Machine Power State

Hi,

I am using EMC SMARTS (ESM, AM-PM, SAM) as our monitoring solution in VMware vSphere 5.1 enviornment. I have several managment Virtual Machines configured, which are monitored by adding and discovering respective Hosts and vCenters. All those VMs are listed under classes INCHARGE-ESM, AM-PM.

Now my test was to power off the VM, but I dont see any Alerts reported in Global Console. What could be causing this? I have all other Alerts reporting from switches, storage, Host power state etc.. I checked and cleared few filters created, but still I dont see the Alert when the VM is down. Any idea? BTW what is attribute (true v/s false) that I should look for Virtual Machine Power under ESM? Thanks much in advance.

/T

170 Posts

February 28th, 2013 08:00

Hi vtrack,

The VirtualMachine::PoweredOff event in EISM is translated from the VMware vCenter VmPoweredOffEvent event.

The VMware vCenter VmPoweredOnEvent clears the EISM VirtualMachine::PoweredOff event.

The VmPoweredOffEvent and VmPoweredOnEvent vCenter events are picked up and translated by EISM regardless of the polling interval.

Can you please check the setting for the following VM attribute: DisableEvents.

Use the following dmctl command:

./dmctl -s get VirtualMachine:: ::DisableEvents

If True, notifications will not be generated for this VM.

To change to false, use:

./dmctl -s put VirtualMachine:: ::DisableEvents FALSE

Kind Regards,

Paul O'Rourke

22 Posts

February 28th, 2013 09:00

Hi Paul,

I checked the VM attribute for DisableEvent and that is set as false, and for all the VMs I have. The problem appears to occur on multiple VMs in different Hosts and vCenters, and none of Virtual machine Power state events are reported. I am not sure if I am missing anything here. I have all the VMs configured with FQDN, does that matter? Anything further I could check to pin down the problem?

Thanks much.

/T

22 Posts

March 1st, 2013 04:00

I tried a fresh deployed system and still face the same issues. Few questions - is the VirtualMachine::PoweredOff event transalation enabled by default?

I see the VM power events are generated in vCenter tasks and Events. How do I check the transalation is happening correctly?

170 Posts

March 1st, 2013 05:00

Hi vtrack,

Firstly, to troubleshoot this issue, we can subscribe to the ESM domain to see if events are being generated for these VM PowerOffs. Use the following command to subscribe to all events from your ESM domain :

./sm_adapter -s --subscribe=.*::.*::.*/pae --daemon --output=alarms.log

The alarms.log file will be created in the local directory.

Once created, please search for any PowerOff events for the VMs in question. This will tell us if ESM is detecting the events.

If you do not see any events for the PoweredOff VMs, can you please enable debug for this ESM domain in question?

Run the following commands :

./dmctl -s put ESM_Manager::ESM-Manager::EnableVMwareMonitoringDebug TRUE

./dmctl -s put ESM_Manager::ESM-Manager::EnableVMwareVCDiscoveryDebug TRUE

./dmctl -s put ESM_Manager::ESM-Manager::EnableVMwareVMMonitoringDebug TRUE

./dmctl -s invoke WMI_Debug_Enabler::WMI-Debug-Enabler InitializeDebug

Recreate the issue and upload the ESM logs.

To disable ESM debug logging:

./dmctl -s put ESM_Manager::ESM-Manager::EnableVMwareMonitoringDebug FALSE

./dmctl -s put ESM_Manager::ESM-Manager::EnableVMwareVCDiscoveryDebug FALSE

./dmctl -s put ESM_Manager::ESM-Manager::EnableVMwareVMMonitoringDebug FALSE

./dmctl -s invoke WMI_Debug_Enabler::WMI-Debug-Enabler InitializeDebug

If we do see the events in the alarms.log file, it means that ESM is sending these events, but SAM is ignoring them.

The DXA configuration file between SAM and ESM decides the interesting events SAM will listen for. To see the DXA file used, go to the Global Manager Administration Console. Drill into ICS Configuration -> IC Domain Configuration -> Domains -> Click on the ESM Domain. On the right side, tick the checkbox for Show Type Details. The DXA configuration file will be listed.

Kind Regards,

Paul O'Rourke

22 Posts

March 4th, 2013 02:00

Thanks much Paul. I got this now working, after restarting the ESM services. Looks like something got changed in the system causing the issue, and I am monitoring if this occurs again or not. I have another question which I will post a different thread.

/T

No Events found!