Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 28th, 2013 03:00

Questions - E20-324

Hi Guys,

I did a exam in the last Friday and fail  with 59%  :{

1) RAID/ Hotspare - The exam ask  when you have 10 disks  with raid 8+1 and need a put one spare, but you have 5 drives appering , how i can create this raid.

2) Scenaries 1 and 2 - Anybody have a examples of this questions ?

I ask excuses about these doubts, but i really need help !

October 30th, 2013 08:00

What are the 'Scenarios 1 and 2' that you mentioned? If you specify the type of question, I'll generate an example or two and supply the answers [once you've attempted the questions ]

For the first question, there are several things you need to be aware of:

The VNX uses 4 system drives

System drives cannot be used for Pools

The VNX uses 300 GB of space on each system drive, so will fully occupy 300 GB SAS drives

System drives do not automatically appear as choices for RAID Groups

Any RAID Group that contains one or more system drives will only use [drive size - 300 GB] of space per drive for that RAID Group

Manual drive selection allows the use of the system drives
System drives cannot be used as hot spares

Hot spares do not rebuild the system area on the system drives

October 28th, 2013 09:00

If I am reading this right, when you go create the hot spare and create the raid group  it is defaulting to Raid configuration  This will include the first 4 drives (vault) and the hot spare device.  What you need to do is in the drop down for the raid protection, look for Hot Spare.  When done this will only show one drive as the first four (Vault) are not capable of being hot spares.

2 Posts

October 28th, 2013 10:00

The question of exam ask how is possible to create a raid 5 with disks 8+1, in this situation.  I understand that is not possible , because i have 10 disks , when: 4 drives to vault and 6 drivers to create a Raid, right ?

thanks a lot !

1 Message

October 28th, 2013 16:00

Is this not just a case of selecting the disks manually rather than automatic when creating a raid 5 raid group ( rather than a storage pool)?

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

October 31st, 2013 03:00

I was wondering something: first of all I never using the first 4 drives for anything (serious) really, but I've encountered a VNXe 3300 where the first 4 drives were put in a pool automatically though. Their capacity was a little less than the rest of the private RGs in the pool, but they did go in the pool.

October 31st, 2013 04:00

Hey RRR - VNXe has the flare on internal memory and therefore does not use the first four drives, this makes them customer useable

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

November 1st, 2013 04:00

Well, even though that's true, the first 4 drives still hold a little less usable space than the other drives.

No Events found!