Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

May 24th, 2022 01:00

17 R5, Dell SupportAssist x64 v3.11.2.143 Installation failed

Programs and Features says Dell Support Assist v3.11.1.8 is installed, but it does not load, and right click on its task bar icon tries to install Dell Support Assist x64 v3.11.2.143. 

Has anyone managed to install a working Dell Support Assist x64 v3.11.2.143 ?

SupportAssistx64-3.11.2.143.msiSupportAssistx64-3.11.2.143.msi

AutoUpdate SupportAssistx64 v3.11.2.143AutoUpdate SupportAssistx64 v3.11.2.143

[This user does not work for Dell and volunteers their free time. Please remember to say thank you by clicking on my thumb up icon.]

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

June 18th, 2022 14:00

SupportAssist Version: 3.11.3.63 has now been installed. BlueScreenView says BAD_POOL_CALLER problem caused by Driver DellInstrumentation.sys, which has been renamed to DellInstrumentation.sys.old having taken ownership of this file. 

crimsom_0-1655589142433.png 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

May 24th, 2022 02:00

The SA uninstall/reinstall - Dell Community process was used and Blue Screen Stop Code - BAD_POOL_CALLER appeared. Support for Alienware 17 R5 Drivers & Downloads, Check for Updates attempted to install SupportAssist and Blue Screen Stop Code - BAD_POOL_CALLER appeared. 

Blue Screen Stop Code - BAD_POOL_CALLERBlue Screen Stop Code - BAD_POOL_CALLER

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

May 24th, 2022 14:00

How did you get the MSI files for a later version which is yet to be relased ??? 

its never shared by Tech support to customers? Once I asked for them and SA developer denied for it. 

Anyways let me know if this old fix works for you. 

Open device manager > system devices: If you see 2 Dell data volt devices, please uninstall the second one.
Reboot

Uninstall SupportAssist and this time you shouldn't get Blue screen.

Reboot 
install SupportAssist

If installation fails again you will have to remove supportassis

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

May 24th, 2022 17:00

Hi @XPS_Man  thank you for sharing a possible fix. 

The Dell SupportAssist application installation files are unpacked and placed in a temporary folder, that then disappears when SupportAssist installation is terminated. I took the opportunity to create copy of the temporary folder and its contents. C:\xxx\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\SupportAssistAgent\AutoUpdate 

The 17 R5 Device Manager > System Devices does not include any Dell data volt devices. 

Dell SupportAssist application and its other supporting applications listed in SA uninstall/reinstall - Dell Community have all been completely removed by Revo Uninstaller Free. The SupportAssist installation Issue did not get fixed. Incorrect Dell automation always tries to install the most recent version for the system. Unfortunately the 17 R5 system does not have what the SupportAssist update wants and Blue Screen Stop Code - BAD_POOL_CALLER is created. I do not have the option to install Old version of SupportAssist. Dell Technical Support has the administration privilege. @DELL-Cares 

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

May 25th, 2022 12:00

Dell devs told me never to use Revo for Supportassist issues, it makes thing worse. 

Try this MSFIXIT in Normal mode and if no go in safe mode. 

Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed (microsoft.com)

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

May 25th, 2022 18:00

Hi @XPS_Man thank you for sharing your discussion with Dell Devs. 

When my Alienware 17 R5 visits Warranty and Service Extension - Dell Community it says "Your device has reached the end of service life and can no longer be renewed, upgraded, or extended." So Dell Technical Support does not assist this user that does not have a Dell warranty. 

The Revo Uninstaller Free removes everything, including left over registry entries. So I do not understand why Dell Devs should say that Revo Uninstaller Free should not be used. 

The "Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter" was previously used, but it says there are no SupportAssist Install Issues. 

Safe Mode does not reveal any SupportAssist Issues. SupportAssist update gets the files, etc. and completes the install process, but then says SupportAssist Installer is unable to complete the installation. There is no Dell explanation or error code. 

Windows Reliability Monitor reports a SupportAssist event but its content is empty and not reported to Microsoft, so the root cause of the Blue Screen is not revealed. This is very perplexing. 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

May 28th, 2022 12:00

Trying to install SupportAssist in safe mode + internet, is just a repeat of trying to install SupportAssist in normal mode. Alienware 17 R5 does not have what this SupportAssist version update wants. Option to install Old SupportAssist version not available, because Dell has automatically arranged to always install most recent SupportAssist update version. 

SupportAssist application update fails to installSupportAssist application update fails to installSupportAssist update failsSupportAssist update failsSupportAssist installation failsSupportAssist installation fails

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

May 30th, 2022 11:00

I missed the fact you are on an Alienware machine. 

For Alienware's Dell client management service is used for AWCC, SupportAssist, My Alienware App and Alienware updates (dell update's alienware version) 

Ensure you have all the permission on C:Program data folder. Remove all the apps from mentioned above, Ensure that Dell client management services (may show as Alienware client  management) and Dell hardware services are no longer Present in Services.msc (reboot may be needed) and try again, 

AT this point, considering the amount of time you have invested in this, OS reinstall could have been a better solution. 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

May 30th, 2022 12:00

Hi @XPS_Man  thank you for sharing your suggestion, but this did not fix this problem. SupportAssist x64 update v3.11.2.143 does not find what it wants and installation fails (again). Dell auto install most recent version prevents installation of Old SupportAssist version that worked. I suspect that this new SupportAssist update version is not compatible with the 17 R5 system, a Dell Quality Assurance problem. 

Installer log says SupportAssist download/installation failed with return code: msiinstallationfailed. 

I am working-from-home and it's just too much trouble to reinstall the Windows 10 Pro v21H2 operating system and all my applications again. 

1 Message

June 3rd, 2022 20:00

I have an Optiplex 740 and I am getting exactly the same problem.   SupportAssist tells me there is an update version 3.11.2.143 but when I download it, I get a failed installation message.  I suspect this is a more general Dell Quality Assurance problem and not just an Alienware one.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

June 3rd, 2022 23:00

Hi @Brandi13 thank you for sharing that this SupportAssist installation Issue is not specific to Alienware 17 R5. 

Boot into the Windows 10 Troubleshoot menu says there is no problem to fix. But SupportAssist installation still creates the Blue Screen Stop Code - BAD_POOL_CALLER. 

Boot into Windows 10 safe mode and the SupportAssist installation still creates the Blue Screen Stop Code - BAD_POOL_CALLER.

Evidently the Windows 10 32-bit kernel does not have, what SupportAssist wants to use. Perhaps Dell have designed the higher versions of SupportAssist to use the Windows 11 64-bit kernel. Postulate that the higher versions of SupportAssist are not suitable for laptops that have Windows 10.

Agree that this is a more general Dell Quality Assurance problem. @DELL-Cares 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

June 4th, 2022 12:00

More Windows 10 21H2 x64 updates have been installed today. Dell SupportAssist still fails to install, but now installation cancelled because unable to validate a file. Speculate lost internet connection, but further attempts to install SupportAssist fail. 

crimsom_0-1654369497262.png

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 5th, 2022 06:00

@crimsom wrote:

More Windows 10 21H2 x64 updates have been installed today. Dell SupportAssist still fails to install, but now installation cancelled because unable to validate a file. Speculate lost internet connection, but further attempts to install SupportAssist fail....

Hi crimsom:

Your new error message "Installation Cancelled. We were unable to validate a file for installation. This may be due to a lost internet connection. Check your connection and try again" reminds me of a similar error message some users saw about a year ago that was related to the FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standards) encryption algorithm.

See my post today in Overnout's Dec 2021 thread Support Assist Installer Installation Cancelled We Were Unable to Validate a File for Installation for more information on how to check the hidden C:\ProgramData\SupportAssist\Client\Agent\logs\ApplicationLogs\SupportAssistAgent.log file to see if it logged any errors related to FIPS encryption during your last attempted update to SupportAssist v3.11.2.143.

Just FYI, I checked the FIPS encryption on my wireless network adapter today as instructed in the How-To Geek article Why You Shouldn’t Enable “FIPS-compliant” Encryption on Windows and confirmed that FIPS was disabled on that adapter.  I wonder if there's something odd about the new SupportAssist v3.11.x installers that they're checking for FIPS compliance (or lack of it) before allowing the installer to be downloaded?

Win 10 Pro v21H2 Control Panel Wireless Network Connection FIPS Disabled 05 Jun 2022.png

--------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1706 * Firefox v101.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2203.5-1.1.19200.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.9.198-1.0.1689 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6758 * Dell SupportAssist v3.10.4.18 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.18.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

June 5th, 2022 08:00

Hi @lmacri thank you for keeping in touch. I do not use the Alienware 17 R5 WiFi adapter, I prefer to use the Ethernet adapter. If there is a US Federal information processing issue it must be on the international Dell US server network. I am resident in London, England. My ISP download speed is a reliable 220Mbps and my local connection to the internet Hub is 1Gbps. 

The Dell SupportAssist installer works but its final validation of a SupportAssist installation file fails. Postulate it must be a Dell server internet processing problem. 

crimsom_0-1654441915143.png

crimsom_2-1654444103611.png

crimsom_1-1654443824284.png 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 5th, 2022 14:00

@crimsom wrote:

... I do not use the Alienware 17 R5 WiFi adapter, I prefer to use the Ethernet adapter. If there is a US Federal information processing issue it must be on the international Dell US server network.... The Dell SupportAssist installer works but its final validation of a SupportAssist installation file fails. Postulate it must be a Dell server internet processing problem.  

Hi crimsom:

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting there's a problem with your network adapter. Just note that a few people trying to install these v13.2.x installers have found the following error in the SupportAssistAgent.log in the hidden C:\ProgramData\SupportAssist\Client\Agent\logs\ApplicationLogs\ folder:

Dell.SupportAssist.Client.SupportAssistInstaller.AutoUpgradeHelper.SupportAssistInstallerPackage - msi Hash validation failed

See Chainsaw Dude's post today (05-Jun-2022) in Support Assist Installer Installation Cancelled We Were Unable to Validate a File for Installation for one example. That error could indicate a problem with the hash validation / SHA-256 digital certificate of the downloaded .msi file, and I agree that this sounds like something Dell has to fix on their own end.
--------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1706 * Firefox v101.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2203.5-1.1.19200.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.9.198-1.0.1689 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6758 * Dell SupportAssist v3.10.4.18 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.18.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

No Events found!