Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

1 Message

May 12th, 2021 02:00

Dell G7 17 7790 Possible SupportAssist Error

I typically like to self-repair any issues my laptop has, but this one seems to be ignored a lot in the community and almost impossible to self-repair. I own a Dell G7 17 7790 and have bought it used in August of 2020. It came to me almost new aside from a hard drive error.

Once it was cleaned up and ready to use, however, there would be a reboot scan that would happen a few times a week at night if my laptop was put to sleep. This reboot checks for any oddities or hardware failures. I wouldn't have a problem with this if the noise made from the laptop wasn't painfully and scarily loud. It's told me that I have a fan failure, something I've come to realize is a pattern with this specific issue with enough research. I've had an IT individual at my college take a look at if for any internal issues only for it to look and run fine outside from the SupportAssist scan. We even cleaned the fans and dusted them (the only solution to the issue other than replacing the fan) which seemed to work if the scan was done intentionally. However, the SA impromptu scan insisted there was a problem.

I'm not made of money, but if a fan replacement has to be made then so be it. However, with the research I've done it seems like this scan will keep happening and tell me the video fan failed and wake me up late at night with pain-enduring beeps just to say so regardless if the fan is actually damaged or not. If there is a way to disable SupportAssist from the BIOS (since it often loads before the operating system), or at the very least an option to shut the speakers off from the BIOS automatically without having to wake up at 4:30am in a panic, I would love a definitive answer from someone who knows this model and issue. I can't afford to keep waking up to very loud blares as a student. It really knocks me out of the brand as a whole and it seems like Dell really likes to dodge this specific issue.

Thank you, 

Daniel Valle

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 13th, 2021 08:00

Hi DanDaMiniFig:

I don't have a Dell G7 17 7790 but see rockDoll's 28-Feb-2020 thread Dell G7 17-7790, Remove SupportAssist EFI Feature about a similar problem where a pre-boot diagnostic would report that their fan was failing to respond correctly. According to rockDoll's 11-Mar-202 post <here> uninstalling Dell SupportAssist doesn't solve this problem so they were likely correct that this hardware check is built in to your Dell UEFI/BIOS. Do you have the latest available Dell G5 5590 and G7 7590/7790 System BIOS v1.14.0 (rel, 13-Nov-2020) recommend on the support page <here> for your Dell G7 17 7790?

I found one thread Disabling Pre-boot System Performance Check on the reddit site where one user reported that said they could stop this pre-boot hardware check on their Dell computer by entering their BIOS (see the instructions <here> in your Dell G7 7790 Service Manual) and changing the Secure Boot option to AUDIT mode. If you find that changing Secure Boot to AUDIT (or perhaps even DISABLED) stops these pre-boot checks I'd suggest that you continue to run your Dell SupportAssist scheduled hardware scans either weekly or monthly (these scans are enabled by default in the Dell SupportAssist settings as shown below - I personally don't like these scans running automatically and have disabled them) or at least run the occasional manual Hardware Scan from the Home tab of Dell SupportAssist as I sometimes do just to ensure your fan is running correctly. The last thing you want to do is to damage your motherboard or other internal hardware components if there actually is a problem with your cooling fan.

DSA v3_9_0_234 Settings Automate Scans and Optimization if Enabled by Default 13 May 2021.png

Just an FYI that I occasionally run the free Belarc Advisor utility on my Dell Inspiron 5584 to see if it can find missing security updates or other problems with my system, and it currently shows that Secure Boot is disabled in my Dell 5583/5584 BIOS v1.12.1. As far as I know this is the default for my Inspiron 5584 UEFI/BIOS.

Belarc Advisor v9_7 Boot Mode Secure Boot Disabled by Default 13 May 2021.png

----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v20H2 build 19042.985 * Firefox v88.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2104.10 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.3.0.98-1.0.1292 * Dell SupportAssist v3.9.0.234 * Dell Inspiron 5583/5584 System BIOS v1.12.0 * Belarc Advisor v9.7
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

No Events found!