cagill
3 Silver

Dell Support Assistant not working

I have been having all sorts of problems with my laptop today.

It started yesterday. The laptop had been running very slow lately.  I had previously tried to download and install Windows Update version 1709 but it was not working on my laptop so I uninstalled it and stopped the automatic updates for a couple months.  I accessed Settings yesterday and saw Windows Update was attempting to download and install update to Windows, version 1803.  I let the update run and download.  When I attempted to install the update, it could not be installed because the April 2018 update was not installed.   I know nothing about this April update.  Usually, I would receive an email about an update but did not.

Today, I tried again to install the update.  My system was running so slow, I tried to do a system restore but could not be done, it said due to the anti-virus application installed.  I uninstalled Kaspersky Internal Security application.  The system seems to be running a little better.  I attempted to run Dell Support Assistant but it would not open.  I ran the repair option and reset option and it still will not open.  I uninstalled and reinstalled it and it still will not open.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Dell-SreejithR

Re: Dell Support Assistant not working

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to assist you on this.

What is the version of Support Assist application you are trying to install?

Type winver in run command box & check the version presently installed.

What is the BIOS version installed?

Please run a hardware diagnostics by following the video on this link http://bit.ly/2fJuGXB & check if there is an error.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

Dell-SreejithR
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
cagill
3 Silver

Hello,

The version of Dell Support Assist is 2.2.1.23; it is the latest version.  I recently installed the latest Windows Update and now the application opens. The Scan Hardware task does not work.  I click on Run Now, it displays "Preparing for hardware test ....", then it states an error has occured

The BIOS verison installed is A09.  I ran the hardware diagnostics and no errors were found.

0 Kudos
jerarn
2 Bronze

I'm having the same problem after the windows 10 update.

Eric13219
2 Bronze

I'm also having the exact same problem. i3668, just updated to BIOS 1.8.0, and the support assistant problem is still there.

0 Kudos
pigeonhill
2 Bronze

Likewise 😞

onehell
2 Bronze

sigh.. ready for someway to fix this whenever everyone else is..... computers runnin slower than a slugs butt. keep getting the "not responding:" error. ran program compatibility troubleshooter in windows told me to reset to defaults, it diid it for me. asked if i would check the program and it opened and i immediately received a red band across the top of the app home page that said something to the effect of ""out of date, visit dell". it stopped responding twice before i could click it. 

0 Kudos
reely
2 Bronze

Ditto on R4

0 Kudos
Sunny528
2 Bronze

I uninstalled Support Assist and updated all drivers through Dell.com support page. I then ran diagnostics and it installed SA before running the tests and now SA works fine.  Hope it works for you.

KJabz
2 Bronze

Sorry for resurrecting this dead topic/post but this actually helped me solve my never-ending problems with drivers and SupportAssist. So I felt obliged to thank you and hope that more people will see this. An important point though: 

Apparently Realtek Audio drivers have a problem with the newest Windows 10 update. When you try to install the newest driver, it goes into a loop of installing/uninstalling. There is a solution that can be found easily by a simple search (I don't know if I'm allowed to share links that are not related with Dell, but Google is a friend.) 

And I suggest everyone to follow the importance order of the drivers on the dell's support website when you are trying to install drivers manually. Restarts are also very important I assume.

Anyway, thanks again Sunny528! 

0 Kudos