Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 19th, 2019 18:00

Dell has ignored SA problems for almost a year!

Read this thread:  https://www.dell.com/community/SupportAssist/SupportAssist-not-Installing-tried-everything/m-p/6108013#M86420

At one point a Dell moderator says that Dell knows about it and is working with Microsoft to fix it.

And?????????

About 70% of the posts on the first 2 pages of this forum are about problems with SA not working, not installing, not completing an update.

If you read the above thread with a sense of humor you will get a kick out of the screen shots that one Dell moderator included that no one can see.  And nothing is even done to display those screen shots even though several users asked if they could be shown.

Don't worry about not being able to see the screen shots, that solution doesn't work anyhow.

There are a few implications from some of the moderators,  that if you have a Service Tag number that shows warranty coverage, Dell will fix the problem.  If not under warranty you can ask for service quote to pay for the fix to the problem.  

You have to admit those kind of responses from Dell moderators implies that there is a fix, but you won't get it fixed unless you are under warranty  or you pay for it.  That's a very disingenuous (if I didn't spell that correctly just substitute 'DISHONEST') position for Dell to take.  Why do you roll out software updates, driver updates, etc on unsuspecting customers?  You know that if there is a problem, only customers under warranty  or willing to pay can get a fix to the problems that the updates created.  Your updates should not be automatic after warranty coverage has expired, and should come with an appropriate warning: "Update at your own risk, if a problem results, you will have to pay to fix it, "

After the multitude of problems I've had with my Dell laptop due to Dell updates and/or Microsoft updates, I went to Best Buy shopping for a new laptop.  I asked the salesman for a recommendation, all he said was "I hate Dell"

19 Posts

August 25th, 2019 18:00

Thanks Sam,
I already got it fixed a few days ago, since my last post I was able to get SA re-installed and running.
The key was deleting this directory: C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent.

I couldn't delete it because some other programs had it open using some of it's files. Namely explorer.exe and svchost.exe. explorer.exe was open because that's what I was using to attempt to delete that directory. Closing explorer.exe relieved it's use of files in that directory, but how do you delete the directory without opening explorer.exe. That's a rhetorical question, because I found the solution. svchost.exe also had the SupportAssistAgent folder open using some files. svchost.exe is more troublesome as it can't be shut down. But again, I found one solution to deleting that directory in spite of it being used by explorer.exe and svchost.exe.

I elevated to being the admin user and still couldn't delete the directory in question. After doing some research I found a way to delete that directory with another 3rd party tool. After doing that I checked the registry (regedit) and found no instances of SA or PC-Dr.   So I was good there.  Oh, and prior to doing all that I downloaded and ran the Dell OS repair and recovery tool.  I didn't do a clean  Win10 install, I just ran a repair diagnostic that found some HDD errors and fixed them but that didn't help with the re-install of SA.

After finally deleting the SupportAssistAgent directory I re-installed SA and I can now use it when needed.  

There a 2 remaining issues with my laptop that are inconsequential to me. The strange thing is that SupportAssist has not diagnosed them or even found them to be out of whack.

1. My integrated camera is not working. SA does not diagnose that after a hardware scan. But the fact of the matter is that it does not work. I never use it, so to me it doesn't matter.

2. My LAN (ethernet) adapter only downloads from the internet at 20mbps on a network where all my other devices download and upload at 100mbps.  The strange things is that although my Dell laptop only downloads at 20mbps it uploads at 100mbps.  So I know there is something amiss with the LAN adapter.  Also, not an issue since this Dell laptop has become a backup and I only use a wifi wireless connection when using it.  I get a faster wifi download than I do with an ethernet connection.

Using other software to diagnose hardware issues shows that there is a failure with the LAN adapter.

So even though SA is running, it's usefulness to detect and correct problems is questionable, similar to the usefulness of the responses I get on this Dell forum.  

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

August 20th, 2019 07:00

Installation issues could be for many different reasons, posting one solution may work for one customer but not another.

In each case I handle, without seeing the application logs or event logs.  We could always attempt a clean install.

The steps I usually try are uninstall SupportAssist via the Control Panel if available, verify all 5 Dell services are removed.

Then delete these directories if they exist

C:\ProgramData\PCDr

C:\ProgramData\SupportAssist

C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent (may need a reboot to delete this one)

Download the exe, right click and run as administrator.

https://downloads.dell.com/serviceability/catalog/SupportAssistInstaller.exe

If the above steps didn’t’ work, I would do the same thing but remove these reg keys

Delete “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC-Doctor”  key from “windows registry” (regedit).

Delete “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\PC-Doctor” key from  “windows registry” (regedit).

Delete “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dell\SupportAssistAgent” key from “windows registry” (regedit).

Download the exe, right click and run as administrator.

If still having issues, I will look in the event logs, sometimes there could be a permission error, in that case I Enable SuperAdmin

Steps: [ Reference for more details :  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/activate-windows-super-administrator-account  ]

1. Open CMD Prompt (Run as Administrator) in the existing customer’s account
  2. Use command “net user administrator /active: yes” -> [Enables “Super” Admin privileges]
  3. Restart Computer
  4. One more account called “Administrator” will show up.
  5. Login to the "Administrator" account and install SupportAssist from exe mentioned above
  6. Logout and Login as “usual customer’s account” , ensure SupportAssist launches and runs fine.
  7. Use command “net user administrator /active: no” ->[Disables “Super Admin privileges”]

If still not installing, we would need to investigate the event and app logs below but usually at this point it goes beyond what we can do over the community forum and that’s why Dell Support should be called.

In Eventviewer - Look for eventsources = msiinstaller and ‘SupportAssistAgent’ then share respective error messages or event logs for review

Gather C:\ProgramData\SupportAssist\Client\Agent\logs\ApplicationLogs

We do have steps where we can install the MSI and MSP separately but as the version changes over time the steps become obsolete

In cases where it looks to be installed but may not launch, we’ll verify it launches via the command window

1. Open command prompt as administrator and run " cd C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent\bin"
  2. Run "SupportAssistUI.exe launch", no quotes.

Also Check your installed size of SupportAssist under control panel should be over 149 MB

19 Posts

August 20th, 2019 17:00

I find it interesting that you reply to this thread which is a criticism of Dell, but not my earlier thread where I discuss the corrective action steps that other Dell mods have already posted.

https://www.dell.com/community/SupportAssist/SupportAssist-program-disappeared-cannot-delete-SAagent-folder/m-p/7357005#M88640

Your solution fails when trying to remove C:/program files/dell/SupportAssistAgent

even after a reboot I get a message that files in that folder are in use by another program.  What program?  I  wish SA was running somewhere but it's not.  I check task manager and there is no instance of SA running.  Just to make sure I stop any process related to Dell.  Still can't remove the folder because some files are being used by another program.

I run Resource Monitor, CPU Tab, type SupportAssistMonitor in the handles search box and up comes up to 30 instance of files in the SupportAssistAgent folder being used by svchost.exe and explorer.exe and Edge.

I can stop explorer.exe and Edge from using them but there are still instances of svchost.exe using 2 folders:

C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent\bin\App\Content\fonts

C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent\bin\Content\css\theme\fonts

I don't think you can stop svchost.exe from running, and I  don't want to even try.  Is there a way to stop svchost.exe from using files in those 2 SupportAssistAgent folders?

None of the registry keys in your list were found on my PC.

If you're going to ask me for my Service Tag number and then tell me my warranty expired and I will have to pay for a solution, don't bother.

19 Posts

August 20th, 2019 17:00

I just read your reply again:

"...verify all 5 Dell services are removed."

Not just SupoortAssist?

Are you saying I should remove all these???

1.  Dell Customer Connect

2.  Dell Digital Delivery Service

3.  Dell Help & Support

4.  Dell OS Recovery Tool (I hope not, I just recently installed this one and got it to work to get me out of a completely dead state)

5.  Dell Product Registration

6.  Dell Update

SupportAssist is already gone, but like I said, I can't re-install it.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 21st, 2019 05:00

JamVal49,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 21st, 2019 07:00

Clean install with 2019 current version using OEM system builder DVD and non malware infected machine works fine Every time. SupportAssist is not available on Linux, Windows RT, Android, Ubuntu or Chrome based products.  Support assist does not support all dell models for all time starting from 1985.

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-home-64-bit-installation-recovery-disc-only-no-license-key-included/p/N82E16832350237

19 Posts

August 21st, 2019 12:00

speedstep said:

'Clean install with 2019 current version using OEM system builder DVD'

I assume you are referring to a clean install of Windows 10?  I was hoping to avoid that.  I did that last time I had a problem as a result of a Dell/MS update.  I'm 70 and don't know of any shortcuts to re-install all my apps after a clean install.  I was hoping for a simple 2 step - uninstall SupportAssist, re-install.

I followed the instructions provided by one of the moderators and it fails when trying to remove:

C:/Program Files/Dell/SupportAssistAgent.  It fails because explorer.exe and svchost.exe are using some of the files in that folder.  How do you stop explorer.exe and svchost.exe and still be able to remove that folder.  Can it be done, or no it can't that's why you suggest a clean Win10 install?

Even after a reboot files in that folder are being used by svchost.exe and explorer.exe.

The moderator also said to uninstall all 5 Dell programs, not just SupportAssist.  I have 6 Dell programs in the Dell folder not counting Support Assist (Dell Customer Connect, Dell Digital Delivery Svcs, Dell Help & Support, Dell OS Recovery Tool, Dell Product Registration, Dell Update).  Which ones need to be deleted?  Will I get them back with a SA re-install.

38 Posts

August 25th, 2019 01:00

P.S.  Here's an important step I forgot to mention. Before installing support assist, make sure you create a new administrator's account. Restart your system and log into the system using safe mode under the new administrator's account. 

38 Posts

August 25th, 2019 01:00

For two months I couldn't install the latest version of support assist and Dell technicians could not resolve the issue. A few weeks ago, I looked at the problem and fixed the issue in about five minutes. You have to remove all prior versions of support assist and PC doctor from your system and then go into the registry and remove any references to support assist and PC doctor. To edit the registry, press the windows key and type regedit in the bottom popup window. Then go to dell.com/support and select download support assist. It should work. 

No Events found!