SupportAssist for PCs

Last reply by 12-18-2019 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Laptop almost always booting into SupportAssist

I posted an issue about a month ago about my problem:

https://www.dell.com/community/General/First-boot-always-into-supportassist/m-p/5172130

Basically, as soon as I got my laptop, I switched the internal HDD for an SSD drive and re-installed Windows on it.  Most of the time (especially after a cold reset or power-off/on), the BIOS will boot into SupportAssist, perform a full check, find no issue, and turn off the laptop.

If I interrupt it by pressing F2, going into the BIOS, and doing either Save&Reset or Discard&Reset, the laptop will reboot and boot the OS properly.

If, after poweing up the laptop, I press F12, and pick the UEFI entry manually, it will boot the OS properly.

I completely formatted the disk once more, and installed Linux only.  Exact same issue.

From the discussion above, I assumed it was an issue with the SSD drive.

Today I got an M.2 NVMe drive (Samsum 960 EVO), and re-installed Linux on it.  Exact same issue.

I tried removing the previous 2.5." SSD drive.  Exact same issue.

In the BIOS, I disabled everything SupportAssist-related, and fiddled with most settings I thought could

somehow affect this, but to no avail.

It is extreamly annoying, having to go through the BIOS or F12 every time I turn on my laptop.

Any insight on the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I finally managed to fix the issue.  I'll leave it here in case someone else encounters the same issue.

For some reason the BIOS option "Attempt Legacy Boot" was set to Enabled, which caused this issue.

Setting it to Disabled completely fixed it.

View solution in original post

Replies (7)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I finally managed to fix the issue.  I'll leave it here in case someone else encounters the same issue.

For some reason the BIOS option "Attempt Legacy Boot" was set to Enabled, which caused this issue.

Setting it to Disabled completely fixed it.

Wow I've been dealing with this annoyance for months and couldn't fix it by uninstalling supportsupport assist. Thank you so much for your solution, worked instantly. 

Where exactly in BIOS do you find this particular setting? I am using Ubuntu 19.04 (replaced hard drive with an SSD) and still the computer jumps into Recovery Diagnostics instead of booting into Ubuntu.

I don't remember exactly, and I don't own this laptop anymore.

Hoever the BIOS has very few options, it should be easy to find..

Probably in the Boot section, or something similar.

Those who can't boot to the installed linux you must go to boot options and add a new boot option . Give it a name, choose the disk where linux is installed and go to EFI and select grubx64.efi and save . Make the new boot option to the top and it will work

I’m having this issue to but the attempt legacy boot option is already set to disabled? Does anyone know of another way to disable booting into SupportAssist?

hey jaygold56, in case you're still looking, my solution was to update the bios. It was a little tricky to do, but it totally fixed my issue. See here: https://www.dell.com/community/SupportAssist-for-PCs/Can-t-rid-of-Dell-SupportAssist-Pre-Boot-System...

Worthwhile checking what version you're using, since the most recent release of 2.10.0 was 28 Nov 2019. I was on 2.6.2 apparently, ever since I bought my machine. The bios is also a manual update you gotta do from a usb, which makes the steps a little recondite. You got this tho. Google should be your friend if this is also your issue.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor