Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

1 Rookie

• 

98 Posts

July 14th, 2021 20:00

Problems with SupportAssist 3.10.0.47

On July 10 on my Inspiron 7569, SupportAssist (SA)  presented a dialog box asking me if I wanted to update to the newest version 3.10.0 .47. I elected to do so.   Afterwards, I checked all of my Settings to be sure nothing had changed.  Lo and behold, although I had had System Repair turned on (Settings > System Repair) in the previous version (3.9.1.245  installed May 26) and have actually had it turned on ever since it was a new option is Settings, there is no System Repair listed in Settings in the new version  – nothing at all:

7569 SA Settings.JPG

But, I checked the 7569 Control Panel > SA OS Recovery  and it says that System Repair is enabled and that the current repair points were created yesterday and today!!

7569 SA OS Recovery repair points.JPG

I used TreeSize to check the directory where the snapshots are stored on the 7569 (C:\ProgramData\Dell\SARemediation\SystemRepair) and indeed there are snapshots and backups with yesterday’s and today’s dates:

7569 TreeSize.JPG

So, apparently, this installation of SupportAssist 3.10.0.47 on my Inspiron 7569 has a bug in it (i,e, not listing System Repair in the settings, although SA OS Recovery says it IS enabled and that repair points have been captured).

I also have SA Version 3.10.0.47 on another laptop, an Inspiron 5482.   It automatically installed. SA Settings says that System Repair is turned on:

5482 SA Settings.JPG

The 5482 Control Panel > SA OS Recovery agrees, showing that System Repair is enabled and that the current repair points were created yesterday and today, the same as the 7569:

5482 SA OS Recovery repair points.JPG

TreeSize reports that there are snapshots and backups with yesterday’s and today’s dates at 5482 C:\ProgramData\Dell\SARemediation\SystemRepair, just as it reports the same information on the 7569:

5482 TreeSize.JPG

So, this installation of SupportAssist 3.10.0.47 on my Inspiron 5482 doesn’t have the bug in it.

Another problem is that even though the maximum space of 18 GB has been set aside for it, SA OS Recovery reports on both machines that it cannot capture repair points because there is not enough space:

SA OS Recovery - pausing repair points.JPG

Yet, both the SA OS Recovery > Settings and TreeSize indicate that there have been repair points created, as demonstrated in the screenshots above for the 7569 and the 5482.

This System Repair feature is a mystery.  Who knows if it actually works to do a system repair if the need for it arises?   I certainly do not put much faith in it. 

And it’s impossible to get any feedback from Dell agents on the problems SA has, even though there have been many postings about them in this Community Forum.

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

July 15th, 2021 01:00

Hi @DELLKaren 

We have removed System Repair settings from SA from 3.9.2 release onwards due to some major issue with SA OS Recovery tool during partitioning process.

1 Rookie

• 

98 Posts

July 15th, 2021 07:00

I don't understand your statement about removing System Repair from 3.9.2 onwards. 

In the earlier version of SA (3.9.2.57), SA > Settings listed System Repair on my Inspiron 7569 and my Inspiron 5482.   On both machines, it was turned ON.   3.9.2.57 is "onwards" from 3.9.2, but it was there on both machines.

As for 3.10.0.47, I have it on both the 7569 and the 5482. System Repair is not missing on the 5482.  But, it is missing on the Inspiron 7569.  The 5482 upgraded on July 9 and the 7569 upgraded on July 10. 

The 7569 upgraded on July 10 when I opened SA and there was a dialog box asking if I wanted to upgrade to a newer version and I said "yes".  I then booted up the Inspiron 5482 and saw that it had upgraded automatically in the background a day earlier (on July 9).  So, the upgrade process was different on the two machines. 

Here is the Settings page for SA on the 5482.  You can see that System Repair is listed and it says it is turned ON.

5482 SA Settings.JPG

1 Rookie

• 

98 Posts

July 15th, 2021 12:00

Another problem with this new version of SA (3.10.0.47) is that at Control Panel > SA OS Recovery, you get the opening message that capturing repair points has been paused due to insufficient space, even though the maximum space of 18GB has been selected. Here is the opening message:

SA OS Recovery - pausing repair points.JPG

In earlier versions of SA, the 18GB space was sufficient.  For some reason, the 18GB space now is not enough, but there's no way to choose more than 18GB. 

And even though it says that it's paused capturing repair points, it still seems to be capturing them, a) according to the hidden files in C:\ProgramData\SA Remediation\System Repair.

7569 TreeSize.JPG

and b) according to the SA OS Recovery > Settings screen.

7569 SA OS Recovery repair points.JPG

T

T

Those repair points were created on July 13 and July 14.  Looking back, 5 days ago on July 10 right after SA 3.10.0.47 was installed, the last repair points were 07/09/2021 4:59:03 PM and 07/09/2021 9:15 PM

Moreover, this is the image of repair points from today, July 15.

7569 repair points 07-15-2021.JPG

And the image below is from the 2nd time I checked, about 5 minutes after the 1st time.  Notice the duplication.  

7569 repair points 07-15-2021 b.JPG

So, contrary to what the opening message of SA OS Recovery says, it is still capturing repair points day by day.

-----------------------------------------

OK, so you have removed System Repair.  But that shows up at SA > Settings on only 1 of my laptops.  The other laptop hasn't removed it at SA > Settings.  And SA Remediation still seems to be working in the background on both machines... as illustrated by the SA OS Recovery > Settings and the TreeSize screenshots above, even though the opening SA OS Recovery screen (1st screenshot above) says that it has paused capturing repair points.

All very confusing. The main point here is that we have no reason to believe that Dell is dispensing something that we can rely on to give us a dependable recovery, should we need it.

1 Rookie

• 

98 Posts

July 15th, 2021 13:00

I am not going to fiddle with my latest post any longer.  Obviously, the spacing is off and I can't figure out how to fix it and I've run out of editing time.  But, I think you can get the gist of the message!!

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

July 16th, 2021 09:00

@NikhilKiroula wrote:

...We have removed System Repair settings from SA from 3.9.2 release onwards due to some major issue with SA OS Recovery tool during partitioning process.

Hi DELLKaren:

Is there any possibility that you are running out of free disk space on the C:\ drives of both your Inspiron 5482 and 7569? The C:\ drive of my Inspiron 5584 currently has 137 GB of unused disk space.

I updated to Dell SupportAssist v3.10.0.47 on 12-Jul-2021 after I launched SA and a pop-up recommended I install an available SA update (note that I have all automated scanning in SA DISABLED at Settings | Automate Scans and Optimizations | Scan Your System and Drivers, although I have no idea if that makes any difference on how self-updates are installed).  When I open the Support Assist OS Recovery Tools settings manager at Control Panel | System and Security | Support Assist OS Recovery Tools I currently see the message "This feature is temporarily unavailable. Feature controls and settings will return when service is back online".

Inspiron 5584 Win 10 v20H2 Control Panel SA OS Recovery Tools v5 Offline 15 Jul 2021.png

You should note, however, that I DISABLED System Repair in my SA settings [Options (gear icon) | Settings | System Repair] and then DISABLED my Dell SupportAssist Remediation service (Start | Windows Administrative Tools | Services) back on 09-May-2021 after reading balji's SupportAssist Deleted My Partitions While Installing OS Recovery@NikhilKiroula would have to tell you what the  the "expected" message is for users like you who still had System Repair enabled in their SA settings prior to the release of SA v3.9.2.

Win 10 v20H2 Serivces Dell SA Remediation Service Still Disabled 16 Jul 2021.png

-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v20H2 build 19042.1052 * Firefox v90.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2106.6 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.4.2.123-1.0.1358 * Dell SupportAssist v3.10.0.47 * Dell SupportAssist Remediation v5.4.1.14954 * Dell Update v4.2.1 * Macrium Reflect Free v7.3.5925 * TreeSize Free Portable v4.5.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

• 

25.2K Posts

July 19th, 2021 10:00

Hi,

This is a follow-up messaage to keep you posted that we are tracking this case and keep you posted once we have an update on this.

-Prashanth

5 Practitioner

• 

240 Posts

July 20th, 2021 11:00

@DELLKaren 

Sorry to hear about your issues with SAC, and specifically SA Remediation.  That is why I completely uninstalled SA on both of my newer Dell computers (desktop and laptop) using Revo Uninstaller Pro.  The software is buggy and you can't easily control it, if at all.  It chews up disk space with abandon, 44 GB on my desktop when I finally blew it away.

I use Macrium Reflect Home Version 8 and Easeus Todo Backup Home 13.5, alternating weekly, to back up all of the partitions on my primary disk.  I have no need to backup SA backups in my system images.  If you decide to do what I do, ensure that you create an "Emergency Boot Disk" for which ever imaging software you select, so that you can boot your computer in the event of a catastrophic disk failure, and restore your image to your new disk.

Just my two cents.  Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

1 Rookie

• 

98 Posts

July 20th, 2021 21:00

Hi @NikhilKiroula

Would you please read the thread https://www.dell.com/community/SupportAssist-for-PCs/Problems-with-SupportAssist-3-10-0-47/m-p/7977570#M91706 , which is a  reply to your post of July 15,1:56 AM.  Your post said "We have removed System Repair settings from SA from 3.9.2 release onwards due to some major issue with SA OS Recovery tool during partitioning process."

I had responded to you on 07-15-2021 07:09 AM stating that SupportAssist 3.10.0.47 on my Inspiron 7569 does not list any System Repair feature at SupportAssist >Settings, but that on my Inspirion 5482 it DOES list System Repair and says that it is turned ON.  For some reason, the image that I posted for the 5482 seems to be blocked, but I can send you another image to prove that System Repair is THERE on that machine and that it says that it is turned on.  So, how is that if System Repair has been removed, my 5482 is still showing it in SupportAssist?

Then I responded again to you  on 07-15-2021 12:52 PM to ask how can it be that even though you say that System Repair has been removed (and the opening message at Control Panel > SA OS Recovery on both machines says System Repair is not capturing repair points), the SA OS Recovery > Settings tab (on both machines) says System Repair is ON and it lists current repair points? TreeSize even shows that backup files do exist for those current repair points.

Could you post a reply to these two questions?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

July 29th, 2021 19:00

@NikhilKiroula wrote:

... We have removed System Repair settings from SA from 3.9.2 release onwards due to some major issue with SA OS Recovery tool during partitioning process.

Hi DELLKaren:

Just an FYI that my SupportAssist updated to v3.10.1.23 today and I can see the System Repair settings in the interface again.

After SupportAssist updated it would not let me use the utility until it had finished automatically updating the SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools to v5.4.3.1535.

Dell SupportAssist v3_10_1_23 Settings About 29 Jul 2021.png

Dell SupportAssist v3_10_1_23 Warning RE OS Recovery 29 Jul 2021.png

Win 10 v20H2 Control Panel Programs and Features Dell SA v3_10_1 Programs 29 Jul 2021.png

The good news is that once the SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools v5.4.3.1535 finished installing (which took several minutes) I was able to see the System Repair setting again in both SupportAssist v3.10.1.23 [Options (gear icon) | Settings | System Repair | System Repair is Turned On] and the SupportAssist OS Recovery control panel (Control Panel | System and Security | SupportAssist OS Recovery | Settings | System Repair).

Dell SupportAssist v3_10_1_23 System Repair Re-Enabled 29 Jul 2021.png

SupportAssist OS Recovery v5_4_3_15135 Control Panel 29 Jul 2021.png

The bad news is that System Repair was automatically RE- ENABLED and the Startup Type of my Dell SupportAssist Remediation service was automatically changed from DISABLED back to the default AUTOMATIC (DELAYED START).  I don't want System Repair creating repair points (snapshots) in the hidden folder C:\ProgramData\Dell\SARemediation\SystemRepair and eating up GBs of disk space when I already use Macrium Reflect Free to create full disk images for emergency repair, so perhaps the only way I can avoid this problem in the future is to completely uninstall the SupportAssist Remediation program from  Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features and hope that SupportAssist doesn't try another forced install of the SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools.  For now I'll just disable System Repair in my SupportAssist settings again and hope it stay disabled.
-----------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v20H2 build 19042.1110 * Firefox v90.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2106.6 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.4.3.125-1.0.1387 * Dell SupportAssist v3.10.1.23 * Dell SupportAssist Remediation v5.4.3.1535 * Dell Update for Windows 10 v4.2.1 * Macrium Reflect Free v7.3.5925
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

No Events found!