Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2019 19:00

Support Assist Scan Hardware Not Working

So, this issue first started out as I was playing a game, and when I tried to alt-tab, I got the error "video scheduler internal error" I did a few things to try to fix it, but when I ran support assist, the hardware scan option wouldn't run. It kept failing and now won't load to 100%. Not sure what to do, but it was the first time in a while (after a major client update) I have played the game and not exactly sure what was the cause. Any help would be great.

1 Message

February 9th, 2020 11:00

One solution that works:

Before loading SupportAssist, "Quit" Malwarebytes.  Wait for 5 minutes, then run SupportAssist. 

Re-start Malwarebytes.

(patience.  The key is the 5 +/- min wait.)

5 Practitioner

• 

238 Posts

February 16th, 2020 02:00

I am running a Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition, purchased in October 2019, with Windows 10 Pro, x64, Build 1909, fully updated, including February Windows 10 updates.  I was intrigued by boheap's reply because I also run Malwarebytes Premium 4.04 (fully updated).  Malwarebytes was not throwing any errors when I tried to run Scan Hardware with SupportAssist 3.4.1.49, nor was the SupportAssist program itself.  My posts in this Forum can be found here.

Rather than disable my Malwarebytes Premium (MBP), I decided to add the following folders to the MBP "Allow List" before testing whether disabling MBP had any effect.  I "allowed" the following folders to be exempt from any MBP protection:

C:\Program Files\Dell\SARemediation
C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent

I rebooted my computer, and now Scan Hardware works just fine and passed.  Also, under Troubleshoot, I can now see my hardware components, whereas before no hardware components would show even after I clicked on "Refresh".

I will be posting my experience on the Malwarebytes Forums in the Malwarebytes for Windows Support Forum later.  I hope that Dell and Malwarebytes will get together and address this issue, since users have no way of knowing that Malwarebytes is preventing certain components of Dell SupportAssist from working properly, since no errors and/or "blocking" are reported by MBP.  I will be posting there under my usual user name "garioch7".  I will also update my topic in this Forum and notify Dell Cares via PM.

I hope that this helps someone else, and I extend my gratitude to boheap for his reply which got me motivated to do some testing with MBP.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

9.4K Posts

August 13th, 2019 06:00

Hi DrDank,

Thanks for posting and for sending your service tag information in Private Message.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Please start by removing the game program, since that may be the source of the error.  

Next, you should remove SupportAssist, please remove allof the program, some customers have reported as many as 3 instances running at the same time.  You may have to use a 3rd party uninstaller to get everything.  Once that's completed, reinstall the latest version of SupportAssist and see if that works.

19 Posts

August 19th, 2019 13:00

Spoiler
I'm having similar problems, can't completely uninstall SA and SAagent folders.  I used Control Panel for basic uninstall, also CCleaner.  Tried to delete all the SA and PC-Dr folders but the SupportAssistAgent folder in Program Files > Dell gives an error when I try to remove it - "Folder is open or file(s) being used by another program"  I opened Resource Monitor and find about 30 instances of one or more SupportAssistAgent files being used by other programs - most importantly explorer.exe.  If you can stop the program or process using the file then you can delete it, but when you stop explorer.exe you can't do much of anything, your desktop and task bar are gone.

Robert P from Dell said this:

"Next, you should remove SupportAssist, please remove all of the program, some customers have reported as many as 3 instances running at the same time. You may have to use a 3rd party uninstaller to get everything. Once that's completed, reinstall the latest version of SupportAssist and see if that works."

Really!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Well the good news is that Dell has installed their software so permanently that even they can't remove it.  And the Bad News?  It doesn't work.

I'm having similar problems, can't completely uninstall SA and SAagent folders.  I used Control Panel for basic uninstall, also CCleaner.  Tried to delete all the SA and PC-Dr folders but the SupportAssistAgent folder in Program Files > Dell gives an error when I try to remove it - "Folder is open or file(s) being used by another program"  I opened Resource Monitor and find about 30 instances of one or more SupportAssistAgent files being used by other programs - most importantly explorer.exe.  If you can stop the program or process using the file then you can delete it, but when you stop explorer.exe you can't do much of anything, your desktop and task bar are gone.Robert P from Dell said this:"Next, you should remove SupportAssist, please remove all of the program, some customers have reported as many as 3 instances running at the same time. You may have to use a 3rd party uninstaller to get everything. Once that's completed, reinstall the latest version of SupportAssist and see if that works."Really!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Well the good news is that Dell has installed their software so permanently that even they can't remove it.  And the Bad News?  It doesn't work.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 21st, 2019 06:00

JamVal49,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 23rd, 2019 03:00

JamVal49,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number.

4 Posts

December 26th, 2019 01:00

I have same or very similar issue.  I verified I am using the current version of SupporrtAssist 3.4.0.200.  First attempt failed to get past "preparing" step, I restarted Dell Hardware Support service and it did run most of the diagnostic but then threw an error message.  I restarted entire PC, Support Assist took an very unusual long time to load but it did run the diagnostic successfully.  What is up?

10 Posts

December 30th, 2019 14:00

I also have a similar issue. Latest version (3.4.0.200) is installed, "scan hardware" never gets past the "preparing" phase (well, at least for the 30min I was willing to wait for it), no feedback whatsoever.

30 Posts

February 10th, 2020 20:00

They honestly dont know what they are doing because there is no clear solution to fixing support assist. Im currently facing same issue. . Anyway good luck. 

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

February 17th, 2020 10:00

We have seen some customers experiencing this issue in v3.4.1.49 with HW Scan going from 0-100 really fast and the results\history show Test not Started. 

According to the PCDr team, the binaries to call HW Test are being blocked by some anti-virus software like McAfee LiveSafe and in some versions of Malwarebytes.  Teams are investigating.

I’ve tested the following workaround
Steps
1. Quit the Malwarebytes (right click and quit) or other type of Anti-virus
2. Open up Services and restart Dell Hardware Support
4. Launch SA and run Scan
5. After scan completes, open Malwarebytes

If HW Scan is stuck on preparing or throwing an exception then it’s not the same issue as above, verify HW Service is listed and running

5 Posts

March 7th, 2020 21:00

I am having this issue of my Support Assist not being able to scan the hardware.  I have an Alienware 15 R3 Laptop. I constantly check and make sure that my laptop is in good condition and it is currently running the latest version of Windows 10.  I always keep it updated. My warranty has run out two years ago because it is too expensive to get a new one. I'm not paying that crazy price for a warranty. That's food and bill money but I digress. What would like to know is if there will be any kind of a fix to this? I don't like having anything not working. I am also having an issue with my Alieware AlienFX. Could these two issues be related? 

5 Practitioner

• 

238 Posts

March 8th, 2020 05:00

@Snowlover 

Do you have either McAfee or Malwarebytes Premium installed on your laptop?  If so, then you will need to exempt the SupportAssist Agent folder from either or both or those apps.  In the case of Malwarebytes, they are investigating the problem of their app interfering with the running of SupportAssist hardware scans and they will issue a fix in a future auto update.

As for McAfee, I don't use it so I can't advise you.  I use Bitdefender as my anti-virus app, so you should check out the McAfee Forums and/or contact their Tech Support.

I hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

5 Posts

March 8th, 2020 13:00

Goodness no, I don't use anything related to McAfee on my laptop. I use the Microsoft Windows Security that came with it. I don't trust McAfee or Norton's at all. I don't have that Malwarebytes on my computer either I don't think. It hasn't come up whenever I have done scans before. I'm wondering if the latest update of Windows 10 interfered with Support Assist. I will check out the Windows forums and see if anyone there has been having any issues. If not, I will be the first one to post a problem. I am a part of the Windows Insider Program and this update is just a test to see how it will work and to test out bugs and such. Thanks for replying to me! Have a wonderful day 

30 Posts

March 8th, 2020 15:00

I am not sure but Ive tried troubleshooting everything suggested but had no luck. Their method of troubleshooting is through remote assist. Most of times cant connect it. I got frustrated of troubleshooting that got me nowhere and decided just to send it to Dell themselves; to see what they can do. I would probably suggest for in the future to avoid Dell at all costs. Its not worth it to buy a really expensive laptop that goes bad in a few months and not even making it to a year. Thats not the worst of it. The next step, getting in contact with phone support is probably the most frustrating. Most of the time they put you on hold for some time,until they hang up without notice. They dont bother to call back. I sort of got lucky because I called support in Spanish and the person seemed more willing to help and finally helped me get my warranty validated for my computer issues. Support in English was such a hassle because theyre rude and impatient and never treating the customer with any respect whatsoever. If it wasnt for my final attempt to get support in Spanish, I dont know if my issue would’ve been solved. Support in English always gets transferred to some Indian people. Anyway, good luck, and check if your laptop still has warranty from Dell. If it does, keep insisting on dell do their job and help you get your warranty validated. It wont be fun but its worth it. Most of Dell representatives will end up hanging up on you some might cause frustration but in the end its their job to help out their customers. Some take it more serious than others. I guess thats the difference between good and poor customer service. I wish I couldve been more help to solving your issue but sometimes dell cant seem to know whats going on.

5 Posts

March 9th, 2020 10:00

Thanks for replying. You would think that they would be happy to help the people that pay through the nose to buy their computers. These things don't come cheap and rightly so. I think they are some of the best gaming laptops on the market. I mean, how hard is it to fix the issue with Support Assist and from what I have been reading online, Alienware AlienFX too? Both of these issues are causing problems. I mean, I don't know if these are interchangeable with the Windows 10 upgrade but it would be worth it to find out. Imagine if an entire line of computers started having these issues if they aren't already. That would end up being costly for them in the long run. As for my warranty, it ran out two years ago and I don't have the funds to renew it. I am on a fixed monthly income and it cost entirely too much for me to buy it. The sales rep I talked too told me that I needed to pay somewhere between $300 - $400. That is insane and is enough money for an entire month's worth of food that I could use. They should be able to come up with some kind of a fix or patch that is included in the downloads that is free to fix this because this problem isn't anyone's fault. I shouldn't have to fork out a huge sum of money for something that is beyond my control just because my warranty has expired. I deserve to have my problem taken care of just like someone else who has a warranty. Sorry to sound like I'm whining but this is how it is coming across to me. I won't get my issue taken care of because I don't have a warranty or I will but I still have to pay something. Why? I'm pretty sure if they wanted to, they could come up with something that's free to solve the issue.

No Events found!