Highlighted

SupportAssist and DellUpdate not installing or working on XPS 13 9365

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have SupportAssist and DellUpdate running perfectly on my XPS 8930... I wish the same were true for my Dell XPS 13-9365 2-in-1, but not so...

After not having found it, I followed various suggestions made here, and uninstalled and cleaned all former versions. I also had Windows 10 Pro 64 updated to ver. 1903, Build 18362.267.  (The problem was exactly the same before the update.) I repeated the installation of SupportAssist via the Dell Support website. Thereafter, running diagnosis and update, it detected that a BIOs update and another were needed. Both were done.

The following can be found on the Control Panel list of installed programs ("Uninstall or Change a Program" list):

Dell SupportAssist

Dell Update - SupportAssist Update Plugin

The Problem:

1. The following do not appear on Windows Start list of programs

Dell Update (appears on my desktop)

Dell SupportAssist

Dell directory

2. There is no other way I am aware of to access the Dell Update feature from within the laptop -- yes, I know I can go to the Dell Support page...

Please bear in mind that I already downloaded and installed both, more than once...

3. Doing a Windows Explorer search for DellUpdate.exe, it finds only "DellUpdatSupportAssistPlugin.exe" in the following directory:

C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{.......}

And there's also a log file with the same name in the Microsoft Log directory.

In other words, it appears not to be installed, despite being on the Control Panel list of installed programs.

Would greatly appreciate your help so I can benefit from looking for updates.

JF

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: SupportAssist and DellUpdate not installing or working on XPS 13 9365

Jump to solution

Thank you for your message. Please uninstall Dell Support Assist & Dell Update application using any 3rd party uninstaller.

Restart the system & complete all Windows updates. Install only Dell Support Assist from this link & check if the issue persists.

If yes, check if there is any error reported in event viewer.

If the system is in warranty please private message the service tag along with the registered name & email address.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

If you are able to uninstall the application & remove the leftovers from these folders, you need not have to use the uninstall application.

Please share the service tag on private message, so that we could check if there is any issue error in the backend.

6 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you for your message. Please uninstall Dell Support Assist & Dell Update application using any 3rd party uninstaller.

Restart the system & complete all Windows updates. Install only Dell Support Assist from this link & check if the issue persists.

If yes, check if there is any error reported in event viewer.

If the system is in warranty please private message the service tag along with the registered name & email address.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you, SreejithR!

Just to be clear: On using "any 3rd party uninstaller"... Using Windows Control Panel program Uninstall and then confirming that the various directories included in this SA forum instructions are removed:

https://www.dell.com/community/SupportAssist/SupportAssist-3-2-1-won-t-open/td-p/7294959

Would this not be sufficient? If so, could you please mention a common free uninstaller choice I can obtain for the purpose?

Thank you again,

JF

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

If you are able to uninstall the application & remove the leftovers from these folders, you need not have to use the uninstall application.

Please share the service tag on private message, so that we could check if there is any issue error in the backend.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you again, SreejithR!

I actually used CClean to uninstall and clean the registry, given that I had tried a simple uninstall before and didn't succeed...

Happy to report that SA is now installed and working. I can also access it via the Start Menu program list. Unfortunately, the folks designing Dell software decided to put it alone, not under a Dell directory, or under D : this is counter-intuitive and unhelpful.

If you could clarify the following for me: On my XPS 8930 desktop (newer than my laptop, less than a year old), under D, I have Dell Update Ver. 3.0, in addition to SupportAssist. I know that SupportAssist includes the updating feature... but can I download Dell Update, to be installed in addition to SupportAssist.  Where do I do that?

Thank you very much!

JF

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Glad to know that this is resolved. Dell update application is no required when you already have Support Assist, as you mentioned this application already has the feature.

If you are looking for a download link, you can download the application here

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you again, SreejithR!

I realize that this is from over a month ago...

I actually don't care much for Support Assist -- because it has no effective user control, for example to disable the optimization features -- and would rather use the Dell Update Application.

The link you provided

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=56j82&dgc=SM&cid=304177&l...

doesn't specifically include the model I was inquiring about: XPS 13 9365, or Windows 10.  Would it be OK to use it on this model running Windows 10-64? 

And, if I may, would the Update work on an XPS 8930 (also running Windows 10-8=64)?

Thank you,

Jordan

0 Kudos