Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

27 Posts

June 23rd, 2022 12:00

SupportAssist - installation failed message.

When opening SA today I was greeted with an update prompt. I went along with the update, however, it went no further than "downloading and starting up files", at which point the percentage bar went up to 100%, then gave me the error: "Installation failed - We were unable to complete the installation. Please reboot your PC and try again".

I rebooted my PC and tried to update the application twice to no avail. I then tried to uninstall and reinstall SA, and the installer had the same issue - it gave me the same error message as the one that the application gave. 

Screenshot 2022-06-23 115828.pngI tried following this solution posted by @XPS_Man, which included deleting some dell files and registry keys, to no use, unfortunately.

Has anyone else encountered a similar issue or perhaps a possible solution?

All help is appreciated. 

June 23rd, 2022 13:00

Solved it - there was an Event Log entry saying it couldn't start the Dell.TechHub.exe service, and couldn't find DotNet 5.0.0 (x64).  I did have several versions of 6 though! 

It linked to:

https://aka.ms/dotnet-core-applaunch?framework=Microsoft.NETCore.App&framework_version=5.0.0&arch=x64&rid=win10-x64

I downloaded and installed "Desktop Apps" (x64) and when I ran the installer, the Dell TechHub service was installed and started properly.

I hope this helps

Community Manager

• 

2.1K Posts

October 18th, 2022 05:00

Hi all,

Please follow this steps to resolve this issue:

1. Uninstall any previous builds of SupportAssist using the MS Install Uninstall Tool and restart the system.
2. .NET Runtime 6.0.9 is a pre-requisite for SA v3.12.x to install successfully. It needs to be installed before installing SA using MSI and MSP files
  Link to .NET Runtime Installer (Version 6.0.9).

3. Install SupportAssist using MSI and MSP files (Links below):
  MSI: https://dl.dell.com/serviceability/catalog/SupportAssistx64-3.12.3.5.msi
  MSP: https://dl.dell.com/serviceability/catalog/SupportAssistx64-3.12.3.5.msp

If your PC is already on .NET runtime 6.0.10 or higher version, then uninstall .NET runtime 6.0.10 (or higher version) first and install .NET runtime 6.0.9 using the above link.

June 23rd, 2022 13:00

It reported some faulty memory to me yesterday.  Today the memory arrived.  I went to run it (to see if it tells me which stick of memory to replace!) and it updated.  It didn't come up with an error when updating but now won't run.  It just says it will take a while then says it has had a problem and to reboot and try again later.

I then made the mistake (?) of uninstalling, and now it won't reinstall - "We were unable to complete the installation.  Please reboot your PC and try again".

So similar but not identical.

27 Posts

June 23rd, 2022 14:00

This didn't work for me unfortunately. I couldn't find any event viewer logs that reported Dell.TechHub.exe or Dot.Net. All I found were vague errors relating to the failure of the installation. 

Did you look in Windows Logs - Applications only or some other log in Event viewer?

27 Posts

June 23rd, 2022 19:00

My Inspiron laptop managed to successfully update SupportAssist. Both machines are on the same .Net runtime version, which is 5.0.17. It could possibly be a different issue not regarding .Net.

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

June 24th, 2022 10:00

Something I haven't seen as yet showed up today. Dell.TechHub under Processes.  I also see Dell.DCF.UA.Bradbury.API.SubAgent.exe and Dell User Session Agent under Processes (around 9 processes in total for Dell that I can see) .  I received an alert from McAfee that Dell.TechHub wanted access to my system but since I can't find anything about it I blocked it.

My software program shows that Dell Support Assist did update today to version 3.11.4.29.  I can't find anything here on the net regarding Dell.TechHub or the SubAgent.

I tried opening Dell Support Assist but it says it's taking longer than expected and to reboot my system.  I don't know if this Dell.TechHub requires access in order to open the program but I'm not in a position to be able to reboot my system at this time.

2 Posts

June 26th, 2022 11:00

SupportAssist (SA) has always had problems and is often confused with Dell update because they overlap so much (I still don't know the difference). This latest 'installation failed' SA glitch  and it's probably more trouble than its worth.

June 26th, 2022 18:00

I had this same exact issue yesterday (6/25/2022). I also tried uninstalling, but re-installation failed every time. Dell, please help. Thanks.

27 Posts

June 26th, 2022 18:00

Hi @PatSSSS 

I'm pretty sure Dell command/update and Alienware update are standalone applications identical to SA's "drivers and downloads" operation. When you run Dell update, you are essentially running SupportAssists "get drivers and downloads" process. 

If you were to go into control panel, then programs and features, you'd find an application called "dell update for windows" or "dell update for windows universal". I could be wrong here but I believe this is what SA and Dell Update use to check for drivers. This is NOT the actual dell update app(the one you can open and run). If you were to go to settings - apps, and search "dell update" or "Alienware update" (if you have an Alienware machine) you'll find two dell update applications. The one that you can open and run, and the one that I mentioned above.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 27th, 2022 10:00

27 Posts

June 27th, 2022 12:00

Looking at the event viewer and in reliability monitor, the installer would give error return code 1603. According to Microsoft, this error code means "A fatal error occurred during installation", i.e the installation of supportassist.

Looking at the installer logs at C:\ProgramData\Dell\SupportAssist\Agent\logs\installer\installer.txt, it also gives that error and a very vague response - "Some error occurred when upgrading MSI support assist". 

Pointing this out as a possible symptom of the issue. 

June 28th, 2022 04:00

Yeah just in the Applications event log.   

Sorry for the delay replying - the site only just sent me a notification because someone else mentioned me

1 Message

This solved my issue. thanks

See my earlier post about having the right version of DotNet installed.  Maybe that will work for you too (there seems to be 2 different issues with the same result).

Community Manager

• 

2.1K Posts

June 28th, 2022 07:00

Hi all,

If you're having installation issues please start a chat on the Get Help Now widget at the end of the page.

No Events found!