Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

LD

July 2nd, 2016 08:00

SupportAssist says driver updates are installed?

XPS13 with Windows 10.  See screen shot below.  Dell Support Assist program says the two driver updates are recommended.  clicking "install" it shows progress to install, then says installed, but on refresh or re-entry to the program it still shows them as needing to be installed.  No errors generated.  Other driver updates done the same way without issue.  Suggestions?

December 22nd, 2017 14:00

(1) I hope the Components Installer is a cure. Otherwise, play with the Engine Interface driver afterwards. Don't be overly fearful to uninstall it in Device Manager. Windows will find something for it upon reboot. (OK, fine, it wouldn't hurt to have a download for it at the ready anyhow.)

(a) If you select to "delete the driver software for this driver" during the uninstall, it won't necessarily download the very same one for reinstall. I would do that first to see which driver Windows wants there. This is better than "Update Driver > search automatically" because - if a wrong driver of a higher version is installed - search automatically will just report you've got the best one.

(b) If that fails, try the ones that are in the "Let me pick" box, one at a time.

(c) If that fails, try the old one from the site (which happens to be the same at my site).

(d) If that fails, try the Intel site, if you can figure which one is right for you.

(2) Ask Cortana for "Recovery" to create a Recovery drive. This should be done after each upgrade to a new version of Windows (not for a new OS Build). It is an external recovery environment for use when Shift+Restart is unavailable to get to the internal recovery environment.

When necessary, insert it, & reboot while holding the PF key that gets to the BIOS boot menu screen (that's PF12 on a Dell). Then, select the Recovery drive to get to the "Choose an Option" screen.

(a) Was that how you recovered your boot manager?

(b) Was it "Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Repair" that fixed it?

(c) Or was it "Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt", & did you have to use "BootRec  /RebuildBcd"?

(3) I would document the fix you had to do - & then try to get OS Build 16299.125 again.

2 Intern

• 

134 Posts

December 22nd, 2017 17:00

Okay, I will play with the different drivers. Maybe something will work.

Now, I try to understand the "Recovery" part.

Do you mean install the recovery on a bootable flash drive? What size should this drive have?

In order to recover from my previous crash I had created a bootable flash drive with the iso windows file on it. Than changed boot order in Bios and booted on this one.

Otherwise what let me recover from my update crash, other than a new install, as advised by MS support?

First part was easy, had to get into the Bios and change secure mode to disabled. And set UEFI mode. After that I could use my bootable flash drive and restore a restore point to reverse the last windows update.

But this was only part of the problem, since I wasn't able to boot on hard drive.

Troubleshoot - Startup Repair did not work

Restore previous version did not work

BootRec  /RebuildBcd did not work! (No windows found!! Arrg!)

I got a nice Dell support guy on the phone who tried to help me to fix the issue with windows boot manager. That did not work, but at least I knew what to search for.

And the ultimate fix was here: en.community.dell.com/.../20013288

Now, I don't update any windows stuff, waiting for MS fixing their mess.

Thanks!!! :-)

December 23rd, 2017 00:00

(1) That's right, a Recovery Drive is a bootable flash drive. Mine is 16 GB, but using only a bit over 4 GB. It could require more, if you select to copy Dell's factory image partition over to it. For me, that would have been an additional 8 GB. But since it was Win 8.1, I chose not to do that. I have since even deleted that partition off the internal HDD.

You don't need a Recovery USB, really, if you've got the Windows Installation media. Both of them get to the same external recovery environment (the Choose an Option screen). But renew the Installation media (as you would the Recovery drive) after every new Windows version (not the OS Builds) enters the computer.

(2) OK. That was a rough one in that "No bootable devices found" thread. Good going with that. Are you sure it was KB4054517 (OS Build 16299.125) that caused it - & not a BIOS update? Since you know the cure, I would try the update once more. It has to be highly unusual for a Windows update to do something like that.

2 Intern

• 

134 Posts

December 26th, 2017 10:00

Hello

I am always on that. :-) Working more for my computer then it works for me.

I upgraded to build 16299.98 using KB4051963

Always can't install KB4054517, get error 0x80070643

Now I am trying to fix intel driver issues. It seems endless. Is it widows creator, or is it Dell...? I never had so many issues with a laptop, except total disk crashes.

Regarding Bios, Dell support confirmed that my battery is not available and told me to look at Amazon. But it is not shippable anyway, so there will be no way to update my bios.

Happy new year!!

December 26th, 2017 22:00

I don't envy you your circumstance. However, there was a cure for error 0x80070643 in here...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/error-0x80070643-when-trying-to-update-windows-10/dd744c3c-4208-4827-83a1-ec1c5f30d83d

Error 0x80070643 when trying to update Windows 10 Technical Preview

But I think, if you cannot solve your battery problem - & especially if that cure doesn't work for you - you'd better think about getting a new computer. And definitely back up all your user files & downloads on a regular basis.

(a) If the battery problem prevents a BIOS update, can it also be preventing KB4054517?

(b) Did the battery problem exist when KB4051963 did successfully install?

Good luck, & keep us informed.

No Events found!