Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

23 Posts

July 14th, 2020 08:00

m17 R1, SA OS Recovery Update Fails due to Missing File

I am in the SupportAssist OS Recovery for my Alienware m17 R1 and the orange "Update Now" button is available in the top right next to the language, wifi, battery and menu.

I pressed the Update Now button because, presumably, it needs an update and it almost immediately fails with the following message:

Update failed due to a missing file.

Please contact Dell Support.

It is connected to my Wifi and shows a solid signal.

My version of SupportAssist OS Recovery is v5.0.0.10859

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 14th, 2020 18:00

23 Posts

July 15th, 2020 08:00

Thanks for the reply but that didn't fix it. SupportAssist OS Recovery still shows that an update is available and when I try it says, "Update failed due to a missing file. Please contact Dell Support."

I have been going back and forth with the chat agent here in the forums and their response:

We don't have reports about a known issue about it, what we would suggest is that if you require to perform a clean Windows re installation and support assist recovery is not working or is not available in your system, then you can try the re installation by following up these steps:

How to Install Windows 10 - Alienware PC

Afterwards:
Alienware: Install Drivers

At this time is there anything else we might help you with?

I have to say, the level of support (more accurately, the lack there of) I have received so far is really making me regret buying from Dell in the first place...

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 15th, 2020 13:00

Why you need to use SupportAssist OS recovery? I mean I use AlienRespawn to get my OS back and it’s the Free Version.

Just don’t download any sketchy files from the internet on websites you don’t trust and please don’t overclock your laptop or desktop beyond what the manufacturer specifically set inside of your BIOS by the likes of intel Extreme Tuning Utility and ThrottleStop.

Everyone has their own opinions but all I’m saying is it really worth a Complete OS reinstall to fix a SupportAssist OS Recovery app?

The decision is yours to choose.

23 Posts

July 15th, 2020 15:00

I just want to know why something that is supposed doesn't work and why Dell isn't interested in figuring out why it doesn't work.

My main goal was getting a recovery thumbdrive setup (which I've done with Alienware OS Recovery Tool) so in the event the NVMe drives bites it, or I want to put a larger one in, that I can recover the original laptop image without having to beg (or pay) Dell if the warranty has expired.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 16th, 2020 20:00

Try to install The latest visual studios out there and check if that works.

23 Posts

July 17th, 2020 09:00

I think we're talking about two different things. The one I'm trying to update is loaded during boot by pressing F12. That one is called "SupportAssist OS Recovery".

The "Support Assist" app in Windows seems to be different, it doesn't have any recovery tools in it:

I ended up making my recovery thumb drive from the one available in Windows, that one seems to only be called "Alienware OS Recovery Tool":

Maybe if Dell stopped giving a bunch of different tools the same name this would be less confusing...

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

Oh, it’s because supportassistos recovery is installed from windows and since your missing some files I thought it would fix it. You already tried reinstalling it being an administrator right?

23 Posts

Why would Visual Studio have any impact on the SupportAssist OS Recovery that runs outside of Windows?

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 17th, 2020 12:00

Your right. The names do be confusing tho.

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

July 17th, 2020 21:00

Hi idburns,

SupportAssist OS Recovery is more for pre-boot environment but SupportAssist is Windows application and both has different functionality.

In near future both are getting merge so name should be same for both the software.

Hope this clarifies your queries.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 18th, 2020 11:00

Thanks.

23 Posts

July 21st, 2020 17:00

Thanks for the clarification @NikhilKiroula . Any idea why the pre-boot environment won't update?

The in-Windows tool is now showing it also has an update and it keeps failing:

Capture.PNG

I have rebooted just in case, it still fails.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 21st, 2020 17:00

It should engage itself when the os fails to boot after 2 times,

23 Posts

July 22nd, 2020 11:00

What does that have to do with the update not installing?

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 22nd, 2020 11:00

It doesent but I think reinstalling supportassist completely and then reinstalling it plus the os recovery should fix it and if they all dont work then it's a false positve.

No Events found!