Highlighted
CAMERC
1 Nickel

Clean Files Optimization Feature and Chrome Browser Cache

I have the strong impression that Support Assist Clean Files optimizer deletes browser temporary files externally in the OS to Chrome, and that the browser thus does not know the cache has been cleared, leading to issues. Unless you immediately after the optimization go into Chrome and use the 'More Tools' -> 'Clear Browsing Data' -> 'Cached Images and Files' to clear this cache completely in Chrome, every web page you look at will (on first use) experience a "Flash of Unstyled Content' etc problem which will have to be resolved by refreshing the page - because Chrome thinks the cache is still there. 

3 Replies
Ramonv78
1 Copper

Re: Clean Files Optimization Feature and Chrome Browser Cach

i can confirm this. After optimizing pretty much all website visits in Chrome need a hard (CTRL-F5) refresh to load correctly

0 Kudos
CaliViking
1 Copper

Very annoying. SupportAssist is just creating problems by trying to save a few MB disk space.

Is the a bug report on this so that it can be fixed?

0 Kudos

I did have one customer who reported this issue. The fix will be released in v3.2, expected around mid to end of March 2019 “The said behavior is due to the way chrome now handles its cached files for reuse in a browsing session, which is why the user is seeing this only on chrome. We will have this behavior tackled in the upcoming release. For now, please suggest the end user to not let the scan run when the chrome browser is open/in use or active. (he/she could close all browser sessions, before optimization kicks in)”

DELL-Joe B
Social Media and Community Professional
#iwork4Dell

0 Kudos