Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 24th, 2018 11:00

Dell Support assistant is continually popping up messages to install the bad Bios and IME

I have notifications turned off completely, but still get reminders to install these updates every time I reboot.

Do I need to uninstall the support assistant program? Can't figure out how to re-set.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 24th, 2018 11:00

Always include exact PC model and version of Windows in your posts. :Idea:

I would avoid all BIOS updates for a while, at least until Intel gets a better handle on things.

You can uninstall Support Assist or just disable it so it doesn't load in the background each time you boot the PC.

And if you uninstall SA, you can always download and reinstall it for free from Dell's support site.

8 Posts

January 24th, 2018 12:00

Thanks, I think easiest to just uninstall for now and re-install at later date. BTW, model is XPS 8900 & I never install Bios updates until they've been out for a while & have checked for potential problems others may have had. I have no desire to be a "tester" for Dell.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 24th, 2018 13:00

In the current situation, it's more being a "tester" for Intel who provided BIOS patches for Meltdown/Spectre to Dell.

8 Posts

January 25th, 2018 06:00

Really?

So Dell would just spit out a new system bios for all of it's customers w/out internal testing on it's own products. I would certainly hope not.

@RoHe wrote:

In the current situation, it's more being a "tester" for Intel who provided BIOS patches for Meltdown/Spectre to Dell.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 25th, 2018 11:00

Intel provided the code and Dell added it to BIOS for each affected model, and it was Intel that told all PC manufacturers to stop issuing updated BIOS, not just Dell, because of the problems.

With all the potential differences between individual PCs of the same model because of the version of Windows and its update status, current BIOS settings, user-installed software, antiviral apps, updated hardware (eg, video cards)  etc, etc, even if a BIOS update tests ok on Dell's reference systems, there's never a guarantee it will work on every PC.

And if you look around these forums, the new BIOS updates worked perfectly on some systems but failed on others of the exact same model. So clearly there are unknown variables at work, and it didn't help that Intel's updated code doesn't work with all generations of their CPUs, even though it was supposed to...

8 Posts

January 26th, 2018 07:00

agree - just slightly frustrating at times. But it's the price we pay for opting for systems that are not completely proprietary and well worth it when I think of it in more global terms regarding flexibility.

@RoHe wrote:

Intel provided the code and Dell added it to BIOS for each affected model, and it was Intel that told all PC manufacturers to stop issuing updated BIOS, not just Dell, because of the problems.

With all the potential differences between individual PCs of the same model because of the version of Windows and its update status, current BIOS settings, user-installed software, antiviral apps, updated hardware (eg, video cards)  etc, etc, even if a BIOS update tests ok on Dell's reference systems, there's never a guarantee it will work on every PC.

And if you look around these forums, the new BIOS updates worked perfectly on some systems but failed on others of the exact same model. So clearly there are unknown variables at work, and it didn't help that Intel's updated code doesn't work with all generations of their CPUs, even though it was supposed to...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 26th, 2018 12:00

I'd be using other words than "slightly frustrating" if my PCs were having these issues. :Wink:

(Caveat: I uninstalled SupportAssist on Day 1.)

Hang in there, and they'll get it all sorted...eventually...

1 Message

March 13th, 2018 12:00

How do I un-install Support Assist? I have it un-checked now in msconfig. I also stopped the Support Assist Agent in Task Manager services. Is that sufficient to kill this from coming up?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 13th, 2018 13:00

@dellpcuser8wrote:

How do I un-install Support Assist? I have it un-checked now in msconfig. I also stopped the Support Assist Agent in Task Manager services. Is that sufficient to kill this from coming up?

Always include PC model and version of Windows in your posts

"Stopped" the service as in "Disabled"?  That should be sufficient. Depending on the version of Windows, you can also look for the "Add/Remove Programs" screen and uninstall SA completely there. (You can always download it again for free from Dell's support site, if you change your mind.)

1 Message

June 3rd, 2018 13:00

Hello. I am having the same problems. Every time I turn on my laptop I have the SupprtAssist popping up all the time even after I had DELETED the app. What's going on???

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 3rd, 2018 16:00

@Josiee wrote:

Hello. I am having the same problems. Every time I turn on my laptop I have the SupprtAssist popping up all the time even after I had DELETED the app. What's going on???

Open Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del). Click Startup tab and look for SupportAssist or related Dell app on the startup list and disable it.

1 Message

January 17th, 2019 08:00

My computer won’t start after update. 

Can you offer any advice?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 17th, 2019 10:00

@katjaxmusic wrote:

My computer won’t start after update. 

Can you offer any advice?

Always include exact PC model number and version of Windows in your posts.

Exactly what update did you do? BIOS or driver update...?

If it was a BIOS update, read BIOS Recovery Options

And if BIOS Recovery doesn't help, read BIOS update breaks motherboard CMOS

1 Message

August 22nd, 2019 09:00

Hello can you help me?
I have a dell inspiron 7472 with i7 8550U.
Currently i'm trying to optmize my pc for my work, it will be work exclusive.
I saw those dell taks running with my Windows:
dell command power manager notify
dell data vault service API
dell data vault collector
dell data vault processor
dell supportassist remediation
dell supportassist
dell digital delivery service
dell client management servisse

Can i remove them all?If not, which should i keep?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 22nd, 2019 11:00

Dell Command Power Manager

Dell SupportAssist for PCs automates support by proactively and predictively identifying hardware and software issues on your system. It automatically checks for driver and BIOS updates etc, and prompts you when something new is available for download/installation.

Dell Data Vault is a part of the Dell Support Center that collects information on system health, performance, and environment concerning applications designed by Dell. DellDataVault.exe runs the Dell Data Vault program. This is not an essential Windows process and can be disabled.

Dell Digital Delivery

Dell Client Management

None of these is essential for Windows and can be downloaded again for free if you uninstall them.  But, if you're in a corporate setting, your IT group should decide what you need or not. 

Otherwise, read about each one of these and then decide if you/want need them to help diagnose problems and try to maintain your system.

No Events found!