Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 29th, 2019 03:00

Inspiron 17 5000 - Problem: Support Assist is not updating and stuck

Today I launched Dell's Support Assist to do routine maintenance tasks but as I launched the application it showed me a dialog box saying "A new version of SupportAssist is available and is being installed on this PC. Depending on the speed of your PC, this update can take several minutes." After almost 6hrs the message is still the same. My Notebook is an Inspiron 17 5000 Series with windows 10. Any suggestions??? Thanks

6 Posts

May 2nd, 2019 02:00

Same with me after following all the suggested solutions. However I just now managed to get Support Assist to install.

This is what worked for me:

After deleting as much as possible per the above advice (which didn't work even after ensuring all tasks and services were killed), I then went to the Dell product support page, clicked on Drivers & Downloads and followed the directions until I got a list of stuff for my machine and then (re)installed the applications that looked to be related to updates (except for Dell Help and Support Application which failed to install): https://www.dell.com/support/home/

I then reran the Support Assist installer and it succeeded. I have no idea why or if that would work for anyone else. Support Assist worked fine after that and installed some updates.

April 29th, 2019 03:00

SA version: 3.1.0

• 

3.2K Posts

April 29th, 2019 04:00

Hi,

Please remove SupportAssist and install it again.

The following steps can be used to uninstall the older build and do a complete clean-up of files from your laptop. From Step 3 onwards, if the mentioned folders are not present in your system, they can be assumed as already cleaned up.

• From Add/Remove Programs, uninstall “Dell SupportAssist”
  • From Add/Remove Programs, uninstall “SupportAssistAgent”, if you have very old SupportAssist version.
  • Open a Windows Explorer and traverse to below directories and delete the folders completely manually if any leftover files are present.
    1. C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssist
    2. C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent
    3. C:\Program Files\Dell\DellDataVault
    4. C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\SupportAssistAgent

Note: Ignore (x86) in above path, if your system is running a 32-bit OS.

• From Start-> Run type %ProgramData% which will open a window with multiple folders. This is usually a hidden folder.
    1. Select “SupportAssistBusinessClient” folder and delete it.
    2. Select “SupportAssistAgent” folder and delete it, if you have very old SupportAssist version.
    3. Select “PCDr” folder and delete it.
  • From Start-> Run type %appdata% which will open a window with multiple folders. This is also a hidden folder usually.
    1. Select “PCDr” folder and delete it.
  • From Services console, ensure following services are NOT present.
    1. Dell SupportAssist
    2. Dell SupportAssist Agent
    3. Dell Data Vault
    4. Dell Data Vault Wizard
  • From Registry, ensure following keys are NOT present.
    1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DELL\SupportAssistBusinessClient
    2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Dell\SupportAssist
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Dell\SupportAssistAgent

Note:- Incase if your Laptop is running a 32-bit OS, ignore the “Wow6432Node” in the above path.

• Reboot your laptop once after clean up, before installing a new SupportAssist build.

regards Martin

6 Posts

May 1st, 2019 03:00

The SupportAsistAgent folders can't be deleted. When I try I get an error about them being in use by another program. Is a reboot required between some of the steps?

May 1st, 2019 15:00

You may have to open Task Manager and kill the offending processes.

May 2nd, 2019 02:00

it's still stuck and not moving a bit... what is happening with this app? why dell program always not consistent?

May 3rd, 2019 07:00

More Interesting Details

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

6 Posts

July 1st, 2019 13:00

These steps worked for me. Thanks

1 Message

July 3rd, 2019 10:00

Hi.

Unfortunately, I did, what you've written, but... it haven't help anything. I still can't use / install / update / reinstall or do just anything with Support Assist. I'm just mad and feel helpless with that problem. Have you any other tips or advices to solve this problem?

Best regards,

9.4K Posts

July 3rd, 2019 10:00

Hi ThePrimeSoul,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your SupportAssist is not working as expected.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

1 Message

July 3rd, 2019 13:00

@jeremycald wrote:

More Interesting Details

YES!!! This finally worked for me after a couple of hours of blindly following other suggestions online that didn't work. Amazing that this was so hard to find, and that Dell hasn't made this solution more public. Meanwhile so many other people are struggling to fix their system to no avail like I was. Frustrating!

July 13th, 2019 10:00

Hi Martin Schiemenz;
What ever the **bleep** of software Dell SupportAssist software is,  you, I , and every one, knows that it is neither working nor updating itself. It also can't be uninstalled no matter what. Even after you instruction are followed to the letter. Some of your steps are not matching exactly to the situation in the PC.
I personally wasted several hours trying to rectify it. When I go to Dell Support and see downloadable software and drivers, Dell SupportAssist is a pre-requisite to install any of them, which originally is the problem.

Please cut the **bleep**, and provide a clear cut working instructions to straighten this software. Otherwise, please let us know that, it is a problem we the consumers have to live with. No middle ground of offering non working suggestions.

1 Message

September 11th, 2019 20:00

The process outlined earlier in the thread (and copied below) worked for me but only after logging into the administrator account as explained in this link: 

Re: Problem: Support Assist is not updating and stuck Hi, Please remove SupportAssist and install it again. The following steps can be used to uninstall the older build and do a complete clean-up of files from your laptop. From Step 3 onwards, if the mentioned folders are not present in your system, they can be assumed as already cleaned up. From Add/Remove Programs, uninstall “Dell SupportAssist” From Add/Remove Programs, uninstall “SupportAssistAgent”, if you have very old SupportAssist version. Open a Windows Explorer and traverse to below directories and delete the folders completely manually if any leftover files are present. C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssist C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent C:\Program Files\Dell\DellDataVault C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\SupportAssistAgent Note: Ignore (x86) in above path, if your system is running a 32-bit OS. From Start-> Run type %ProgramData% which will open a window with multiple folders. This is usually a hidden folder. Select “SupportAssistBusinessClient” folder and delete it. Select “SupportAssistAgent” folder and delete it, if you have very old SupportAssist version. Select “PCDr” folder and delete it. From Start-> Run type %appdata% which will open a window with multiple folders. This is also a hidden folder usually. Select “PCDr” folder and delete it. From Services console, ensure following services are NOT present. Dell SupportAssist Dell SupportAssist Agent Dell Data Vault Dell Data Vault Wizard From Registry, ensure following keys are NOT present. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DELL\SupportAssistBusinessClient HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Dell\SupportAssist HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Dell\SupportAssistAgent Note:- Incase if your Laptop is running a 32-bit OS, ignore the “Wow6432Node” in the above path. Reboot your laptop once after clean up, before installing a new SupportAssist build. regards Martin PN´s bitte nur auf Anfrage DellMartin Schiemenz Community Technologist - Business Client Social Media and Communities Professional Twitter | LinkedIn | XING| Support kontaktieren

No Events found!