Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 4th, 2018 07:00

SupportAssist keeps triggering prompt for admin credentials

SupportAssist is VERY annoying on computers that are in a domain where standard users don't have local admin privileges.  If you install it as an admin and use it to update a computer, everything's fine.  But it seems that SupportAssist likes to install new certificates frequently, which it cannot do if the active user is not a local admin.  So the non-admin user gets prompted for admin credentials every time SupportAssist is triggered to update it's certificates. 

This has been generating a lot of calls to our help desk after we've used SupportAssist to either diagnose or update a computer.  To that end, I'd like to recommend that Dell make SupportAssist either run as System, or NOT run in the background for non-admin users.

And while I'm aware of your enterprise version of SupportAssist, it's not a good fit in an organization such as ours, so we have to use the standalone version.  Thanks.

3 Apprentice

• 

43 Posts

July 5th, 2018 11:00

Hi  @JSherryLPC , @StevieDell , @Den0 and All,

Thank you all for your feedback. SupportAssist hotfix 2.2.2.7 was released to address issue with UAC prompts in non-admin user sessions. Please update SupportAssist to latest version 2.2.2.7 to resolve this issue.

SupportAssist update availability can also be verified by navigating to "Settings" at top right of the SupportAssist home screen.  "Settings > About SupportAssist  > Check for updates"

SupportAssist latest and current version is available for download here

Thanks,

Dell - Kumar

1 Message

April 24th, 2018 06:00

I have this same problem, but am not that tech savvy.  I bought a dell for my senior parents and gave them a standard user account to prevent screw-ups. 

But, they get a popup asking for admin password.

What to do?

1 Message

May 9th, 2018 08:00

I would also like to see this addressed. I'm seeing the same thing on my clients' computers. It's super annoying.

1 Message

July 10th, 2018 02:00

Hi,

i have the latest version of supporassist; however:

1) I am STILL being prompted for a password

2) prompt is NOT accepting my PC's admin password ??

can you help or advise ?

2 Posts

July 14th, 2018 02:00

Hi, I've worked hard for a tweak some weekends ago to bypass this limitation, while we all wait 
for Dell Support to FIX it once and for all :

Here's a recompiled version of the orginal dsa setup package :
Get from link : Download Link: http://www.sendfiles.net/?uid=f4a01-ac6c94b5
Password: jisoG7pm

Then, from your local adiministrator windows session : 

1. After you downloaded the dsa.zip file, unzip it and reach the Setup.exe.

2.Right click the Setup.exe and select Propreties, then reach the Compatibility Tab and tick "Run this application as Administrator", apply changes.

3.Launch the install from the Setup.exe, say yes when prompted to uninstall previous version if you have one, at the end of the installation don't launch dsa.

4.reach your c:\Programs\Dell\SupportAssist\pcdlauncher.exe and (same as point 2 )
Right click the pcdlauncher.exe, select Propreties, then reach the Compatibility Tab and tick "Run this application as Administrator", apply changes.

5. Later, Dell Support Assist will ask you to upgrade to newer version, say yes, 
it will keep previous settings.

Now; Enjoy the hard work.

f0x0

No Events found!