Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

8 Posts

July 9th, 2018 02:00

AW 17 R4, SupportAssist messages to update BIOS

I have updated the BIOS 3 times now from SupportAssist messages but realize now it is having me reinstall the same version repeatedly over the same version

Alienware 17R4

BIOS  Version:  SKL1.3.0_KBL1.2.4

Get the same message in my tray every day now, getting annoying.  Any ideas on how to resolve?

July 9th, 2018 19:00

I'm having the same problem. When ever I turn on my laptop (Alienware 17R4) it tells me there are driver updates, but it's the same BIOS version for the past 2 weeks or more. Getting very irritating since this is a brand new machine and Support Assist should be able to tell when the bios is updated. Please fix SupportAssist program so I can stop updating the same bios: BIOS  Version:  SKL1.3.0_KBL1.2.4

1 Message

July 9th, 2018 22:00

Same exact problem here with my 15r3. Been happening for at least 2 weeks for me. SupportAssist has been pretty flaky in the past year that I've had my machine. I would love to see the issue resolved by dell, but i'm assuming it will just fix itself once the next update for our bios rolls out.

8 Posts

July 10th, 2018 02:00

SupportAssist wont even run the hardware diagnostics for me... always been flaky.  Good to know it isn't just me.

1 Message

July 13th, 2018 21:00

I'm having the same issue..  So where is the tech reply at?

July 15th, 2018 15:00

Ditto here too.  Funny that Dell won't acknowledge this issue.

It makes you wonder if the patch itself is also half-assed.

3 Apprentice

• 

43 Posts

July 16th, 2018 07:00

Hi @BillD3 @mikefitter @DroidtilDeath @Broseph42087

We can help with the issue resolution. Could you please confirm if this is the driver version and driver id (refer to following URL) which is being recommended on SupportAssist?  recommended BIOS version and driver id can be found by clicking on specific recommended driver's "More details" link on SupportAssist UI screen.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/ed/en/edbsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=f95h1 

Thanks,

Dell - Kumar

#iwork4dell

8 Posts

July 16th, 2018 07:00

Kumar -

If you look at my first post, SupportAssist is asking to install BIOS  Version:  SKL1.3.0_KBL1.2.4  and the link you sent looks like Version SKL1.2.4_KBL1.2.4.  So no, this is not the same BIOS link (I believe the update date is different for the two also).

Can you also advise as to why I cannot get SupportAssist to run the hardware diagnostics?  I fails everytime (time out).  I have uninstalled and reinstalled with boots inbetween multiple times to no avail.

Bill

3 Apprentice

• 

43 Posts

July 16th, 2018 08:00

@BillD3,  Sure, I found the right one and updated my post https://www.dell.com/support/home/ed/en/edbsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=f95h1 , I will provide an update by end of this week.

reg hardware scan - Please make sure you have SupportAssist v2.2.3.2 installed and I will message you  for additional details to help with the issue resolution.

Thanks,

Dell -Kumar

#iwork4dell 

July 16th, 2018 12:00

This is the Driver that Alienware Update v.3.0 repeatedly pops up as a Critical Update for my 17R4.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?c=us&l=en&s=gen&driverid=F95H1

I have installed it 3x successfully.

Every time I boot Windows 10, I get a reminder to update it again.

3 Apprentice

• 

43 Posts

July 16th, 2018 13:00

hi @DroidtilDeath @BillD3

Please do not reinstall now if it is already installed. Iam having it fixed by our team. It should no longer be prompted by 7/20. I will provide an update.

Thanks,

Dell - Kumar

#iwork4dell

8 Posts

ok I am reinstalling the BIOS again from your link (this is the one that I am directed to each time through supportAssist.  I can confirm my version of that is v2.2.3.2 also... and everything seems to work but hardware diagnostics which hangs and then errors.

8 Posts

Confirming that SupportAssist still recommends loading this BIOS after updating directly from your link.  This did not solve the issue as it is certainly the BIOS I have installed 4x now.

July 16th, 2018 14:00

I can confirm that this is the same bios that SupportAssist  keeps recommending for download after I downloaded and installed it through SupportAssist 3X

1 Message

July 17th, 2018 07:00

Hi

Same problem here.

Any fix available yet?

Kind regards

Guy

3 Apprentice

• 

43 Posts

July 24th, 2018 02:00

This issue should be resolved. Please install BIOS SKL1.3.0_KBL1.2.4 Alienware 15 R3 / 17R4  for one more time successfully, then relaunch SupportAssist. It will no longer repeat this BIOS version again on SupportAssist > Drivers recommendation list. 

Thanks,

Dell - Kumar

#iwork4dell

No Events found!