Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2010 12:00

Alert set up for DMX, VMAX

Can any one let me know how is alerting setup for a  new DMX or a VMax once it comes into the environment?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 28th, 2010 12:00

Do you have ESRS in the environment ? Otherwise modem call-home is the option.

19 Posts

September 28th, 2010 18:00

Thanks Dynamox...for the response..can you let me know what are the other options apart from these ESRS and Modem options???  Also can you let me know how can we setup monitors for the SRDF setup???

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 28th, 2010 19:00

i don't know of any other call-home options. As far as SRDF is concerned take a look Solutions Enabler Symmetrix SRDF guide, section "SRDF automated recovery"

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 28th, 2010 23:00

Hi Enthusiast1

The 3 methods for a Symmetrix to dial home are ESRS, SymmIP and modem. However when you say alert setup do you mean dial home to EMC, or alerts to host console to inform you.

88 Posts

September 29th, 2010 03:00

Control Center (ECC), has alert capabilities.. You may also be able to 'home grow' a script to monitor symapi/host log files - as well as using the output of "symevent", to trigger some sort of email or other notification method. Since it is a new install, consider contacting your local CE or team for this too - they might be able to elaborate on what was already posted or perhaps something else that wasn't mentioned.

19 Posts

September 29th, 2010 07:00

I am looking  for alerts to host console to inform me. Also for SRDF can you let me know how do we setup alerts to inform me for SRDF/S/A/AR etc?

19 Posts

September 29th, 2010 07:00

Thank you for your reply Zep. Can you please give me more info on "a script to monitor symapi/host log files - as well as using the output of "symevent", to trigger some sort of email"

Thank you in advance.

88 Posts

September 29th, 2010 08:00

What I am referring to is UNIX scripting or some other program to monitor logs.. This is something usually made by the customer. See the manpages for 'symevent' and other Solutions Enabler documents, working with different opt/args, outputs, etc. And of course, previously mentioned are the dialhome capabilities and ControlCenter.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 29th, 2010 08:00

you need to plan on establishing some kind of dial-home solution, regardless if you write your own script to monitor the array or not. The array needs to be able to contact EMC when hardware/software issues come up plus on weekly bases SYR account uploads the bin file to EMC.

88 Posts

September 29th, 2010 09:00

YES, nothing replaces dialhome capability for your reasons explained.. That is first priority.

19 Posts

October 7th, 2010 01:00

I agree with Dynamox and ZepHead, you need to setup dial-home or ESRS so that alert notifications to to EMC support.  Relying merely on symevent will not help as you (SAN/Storage Admin) may not be able to interpret some/most of the alerts that comes out of it.

No Events found!