Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2013 13:00

Best practice hyper sizing

I am new hire storage admin and am performing an assessment of my company's storage environment. I've notice that there hypers as large as 2.5 TB (VMAX storage).  I have not verified but most likely these hypers are presented to VM hosts.  I have never seen hypers this large in my prior my experiences with Symmetrix frames, and I am sure that this goes against best practice in regards to hyper size. I need assistance in explaining to my colleagues why a hyper size is not a good idea and would like to back this assessment up with supporting documentation. 

12 Posts

Quincy, at second glance yes it is a thin meta.  Sorry for the confusion. 

1.3K Posts

The largest "hyper" in VMAX is around 240GB.  What you are looking at is a meta volume made up of multiple Symm volumes.  And these are probably cache devices (TDEV) where the real hypers are data devices (TDAT).  Or it could be at traditional provisioned box (thick).

Either way, it is very common to see 2TB+ volumes on Symmetrix these days, and not an issue.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

February 27th, 2013 01:00

Quicy, I think you shouldn't call the 240GB "thing" a "hyper", but simply as you also stated a device or volume. As you know a hyper / split / slice is an actual slice on 1 physical disk. A bunch of hypers form a device and devices put together are known as METAs.

Take a look here: http://www.50mu.net/facilitate-the-conversation-say-what-you-mean-and-dont-make-assumptions/

In a technical centric environment we should be using the correct names for certain items instead of mixing them and using whatever we feel like on that particular moment.

No offence intended! Just trying to create awareness

1.3K Posts

February 27th, 2013 05:00

RRR, you are correct.  The hyper is the split on the disk.  But the largest split on a disk is still ~240GB (mirrored or unprotected).  With any other RAID, the largest split on the disk will be smaller (total volume size limit is still ~240GB)

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

February 27th, 2013 23:00

ah indeed! I didn't realize that for a RAID1 volume of 240GB, each hyper needs to be 240GB indeed. Thanks!

No Events found!