Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 30th, 2010 16:00

CX600 to VMAX Migration

Hello,

We need to migrate a server which is connected to CX600 to VMAX .. Could any one tell me what is the best online migration tool for this approach. The plan is once the Migration is completed server will be forklifted to the target data center and presented the target luns from VMAX. So please let me know your thoughts on how to approach .

19 Posts

October 5th, 2010 06:00

I would go for OR pull as well.  But I would suggest that after OR pull you take out the CX devices and mount the VMAX devices and run your application for a week before you forklift the server to the target data center.  The upside to this is that you ensure your data on the VMAX is intact and that once the server is in the target data center, starting up would be a breeze.  But the downside is that you will have two downtimes (1. moving to the VMAX and 2. moving the server to the target DC).

Just my 2 cents worth.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 30th, 2010 17:00

SanCopy (will require downtime to switchover to VMAX devices), PowerPath migration enabler (no downtime required, make sure your OS is supported)

152 Posts

October 1st, 2010 11:00

The Flare version running on cx600 is (2.19) and VMAX (5874).. Is SAN copy compatable between these two arrays. And also  i am thinking of a cold OR pull from VMAX. Is it doable.. any thoughts.. 

131 Posts

October 1st, 2010 15:00

yes, you can cosider OR.

cold OR pull required Downtime.

859 Posts

October 10th, 2010 08:00

Hi,

If there is not much data to migrate and enough bandwidth between your CX and VMAX, I would go with Open Migrator (see if your host is compatible with it). Its an online migration and works well with Clustered host. Its free and easy to use where as SanCopy and PPME would require you to buy licenses (why would you buy licenses to migrate just one server?)

Thanks,

Saurabh

32 Posts

October 10th, 2010 09:00

Excuse me where Can I get open migrator software?

Thank you

Sent from my blackberry device

859 Posts

October 10th, 2010 14:00

Its available on Powerlink under support -> Software download and licensing menu. You can download the version depending upon the OS you have. Go through the Open Migrator Admin guide before you perform migration. Its pretty straight forward.

Thanks,

Saurabh

32 Posts

October 10th, 2010 15:00

Thanks a lot Saurabh

Sent from my blackberry device

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 10th, 2010 16:00

if you have a licensed copy of PowerPath, PPME is free

No Events found!