Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 2nd, 2013 09:00

Migration issue using OR/Hot Pull on Windows 2003 Cluster- nodes hang while boot

Hi All;

I need your help regarding an issue I had while migrating a Windows 2003 2-node cluster.

I need to know the correct timings of the events to be carried out while migrating the servers – So here are the details of the events on the migration day: 

Ist Attempt:

-         Stopped applns

-         Moved all cluster resources to node 1, set cluster service to manual  and shut down node 2

-         Shut down the node 1

-         Create and activated OR session.

-         Bring node 1 up after 5% copy

When we tried this; the server was hanging while booting. (I guess this was due to the SCSI Reservations held by the OR session on the devices; and the OS was not able to claim the devices and hence it was hanging - correct me if I am wrong. )

So; nodes were shut down and we terminated the session using –force and –symforce flags.

And brought up node 1. (which came up without issues this time – and was able to see new disks)

IInd Attempt:

-         While node 1 was up and running; I created the OR session;

-         Attempted to activate the session – but session failed.

Again; node 1 was brought down and we terminated the session using –force and –symforce flags.

IIIrd Attempt:

-         Created OR session

-         Brought node 1 up and running

-         Activated OR session – so far everything was looking fine -

-         We attempted to bring cluster resource online – few were able to come online; but couple of them failed.

-         We proceeded with bringing node 2 online – but it was hanging while booting as before.

So we terminated the session; and backed out to the CX storage.

Should I have brought cluster resources and node 2 up and running before activating the OR session (in the 2nd step of 3rd attempt).  I didn’t  try that as we were running out of time – please let me know what you think.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Thanks Saurabh; I guess I will try to add more FA ports and see if I can copy the data faster - its a 10 TB space the servers are presented to - due to the window constraint I tried to bring the servers up at about 5%.

859 Posts

The problem you had noticed in 1st attempt is normal. This happens most of time in OR when a host is booted up immediately after activation (There are EMC knowledge base articles on this). I think the resolution was to wait for the copy to move further ahead and then boot up the server.

Should I have brought cluster resources and node 2 up and running before activating the OR session (in the 2nd step of 3rd attempt).

You wont be able to activate while the node is up due to the SCSI reservations on the devices. Your first step seems appropriate but you should wait for the copy to be at 20-30% before attempting to reboot the node.

regards,

Saurabh

110 Posts

July 8th, 2013 06:00

Let me put the situation I had, I performed a OR online push to VNX from VMAX Thin devices. The devices were belongs to Exchange 2010 servers. The migration session created, activated and went above 50% data copy. We started experiencing slowness and its failed after 40 minutes. Later we came to know its due to backup software. The disk was heavliy accessed, and the windows server unable to get its hold on the disk, however, the session was working fine. It came to normal immediately when I cancelled the migration.

So, its advised to take a snap of the production volume, and initiate the OR oline migration using the snap device.

Please share your concerns. Thank you.

Regards,

Periyakaruppan

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 10th, 2013 09:00

Thank you Periyakaruppan; relating to my issue; I never got to a point where the servers were able to come online on the new disks. Yeah; taking a snap and using it for migration is a good idea. I will have to see if I can do that.

No Events found!