Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2011 14:00

Optimizer question - swapping algorithm?

We currently have optimizer set with a workload analysis period of 1 week and an initial period of 1 week.  When looking at Performance Manager, I've been noticing that we still have some disks that are much more heavily loaded than others when I look day to day.  These are 15k fibre drives.  When I look at the average scsi commands they say 70, but then I look at the graphs for each day and some go over 150.  I'm concerned that doing it over a week is not coverying my IO patterns enough to keep it properly balanced and was considering switching to a shorter interval.  What are the tradeoffs when I do that?  It seems like we've kind of stabilized right now and haven't been having too many swaps these days, but the load is certainly not balanced all of the time.

EDIT: Ok, I reread this today and I realized I made it overly complicated.   Here is the quick and dirty version.

We currently have a workload analysis period of 1 week which still seems to be leaving my load unbalanced on a day to day basis.  What are the tradeoffs to going to a smaller analysis period like 1 day?

184 Posts

March 17th, 2011 08:00

Hello Trouphaz,

I do not use Optimizer, but I saw that no one had assisted you with your question.

Take a look at this knowledge article = emc203665.

it has 2 links embedded for optimizer.

One link is a White paper, the other link is for Performance tools including Optimizer.

Hope this helps!

thom

No Events found!