Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 25th, 2014 08:00

SE upgrade

I wanted to start a new thread for this but my laptop's acting up and  couldn't raise a new one .

So I know nothing about SE installations and configs . I have 3 servers that have SE installed , at least I think so .

Support told me that symcfg list connections give us the hosts that have SE on it . So when I run that command I can see 3 host names that are mapped to the FA ports

Symmetrix                            Host

-------------  -----------------------------------------------------------

Director Port  Node Name IP Address  HW Type  OS Name  OS Revision
FA-8E 0 unixhost-tmp  10.2.201.160 sun4v SunOS 5.10
FA-8E 0 unixhost  10.2.201.108 sun4v SunOS 5.10
FA-8F 1 Ranwinlot123  10.1.190.40 x86_64   WinNT 6.1.7601
FA-9F 0           1::7ced:9f04 |φƒ♦|φƒ  Unknown  |φƒ♦╕Ωƒ♦╦☺
FA-9F 1           1::7ced:9f04 |φƒ♦|φƒ  Unknown  |φƒ♦╕Ωƒ♦╦☺
FA-10F 0 Ranwinlot222  10.1.75.1   i686 WinNT 5.2.3790

Now I access SE on a diff host(lets call it windowsx) that is not in the output above , I set a path variable like (set symcli_connect=apiname_dbname) and then can perform tasks .

I'm trying to understand how windowsx is set up and why is it not showing in the output above . No zoning on windowsx to vmax .

unixhost and ranwinlot123 -- GK's are assigned to these .. so are these my primary SE servers ????

All servers above are runnning diff versions of SE

unixhost - 7.3

ranwinlot123 - 7.5

windowsx - 7.2

How should I go about the upgrade here ?

Note : I have ecc 6.1 installed as well .

53 Posts

July 25th, 2014 09:00

Hello,
Welcome! SE (Solutions Enabler) can work in a client mode and a server mode.

Server mode: GK's will be presented to the host and hence manage the array.
Client mode: A machine which cannot be zoned to the array and hence cannot have GK's can talk to the server (which has GK's) and get the things done. This could be your laptop for instance.
You can confirm if a machine is operating as client by checking 2 things:

1. The netcnfg file will have entry of the server its connecting to (default location: C:\Program Files\EMC\SYMAPI\config).
2. Environment variables would be set so that it can point to the SYMAPI server (server which has GK's from array). The variables can be checked by running "symcli -def" command (without quotes).

I believe the windowsx host you are referring to is a client which is pointing to a server and hence able to manage the arrays visible to the SYMAPI server.
You would only see SYMAPI servers in symcfg list -connections.

SE as such doesn't have much of hassle in order to upgrade it, but dependent software like ECC/SMC/SPA/Unisphere for VMAX needs to be checked and necessary actions need to be taken. You're best bet would be to first check if SE can be upgraded to the version you want to from the current version you have. Then check if ECC 6.1 will work with the new SE you're going to have.

You should be able to figure it out from https://support.emc.com/products and https://elabnavigator.emc.com

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Roshan Raju.

July 25th, 2014 10:00

Thanks Roshan , well explained .

Should I be concerned as my client mode SE is running on 7.2 ? do I have to upgrade this ?

Will a client mode SE upgrade be dependent on ECC ?

Can I upgrade client mode SE to 7.6 and then later upgrade my Server SE's ?

July 25th, 2014 11:00

Ok I get it .

No I'm not an admin user  .  Im unable to open the kb my access is restricted  - could you please share the document or paste the content .

Thanks for your help

Im unable to run any symcli commands on my windows box thats operating in SE server mode .

I get this error

Access denied - You are no an authorized base daemon user .

What has to be done to fix this ?

53 Posts

Rule of thumb for client server mode of SE is that your client cannot be running an SE version higher than what is running on the server. So if you are planning to upgrade, first upgrade SE on server and then on client.

Are you not an admin user on the windows host? If yes, please make sure you are opening the command prompt with elevated rights (right click, run as admin).

If non-admin user, check KB https://support.emc.com/kb/6511

53 Posts

July 25th, 2014 12:00

For some reason i am unable to attach here, maybe i forgot how. So i've put the KB as PDF and also complete SE doc set to the link below.

https://ftp.emc.com/action/login?domain=ftp.emc.com&username=wvGAZZxFi&password=KuB077y070

Regards,

Roshan Raju.

July 27th, 2014 06:00

thanks Roshan

No Events found!