Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2008 17:00

Storage processor for symmetrix

Hi,

Is there is any concept of storage processor like we see in clarrion or Controller we see in hitachi arrays for symmetrix.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

August 6th, 2008 00:00

Is there any concept like potatoes in an apple tree ?? ;-)

I don't know exactly how does HDS storages behave .. In CX world the storage processor is the main engine that protects data and virtualizes the physical disks, presenting you "virtual" luns that you can configure at your will. In DMX there is no "storage processor" .. instead you have a matrix of connections that allows frontend adapters to access a shared cache. The same shared cache is seen also from all your backend directors.
Frontend director is responsible of the host-storage interface. backend processors are responsible of the storage-to-disks interface. Obviously I refer to the "engine" in the DMX when I say "storage".

So in DMX world there are different "processors" all running our Enginuity Operating Environment and working together to virtualize your physical drives and present luns to your hosts. The main difference is that in CX terms, the "storage processor" is a one-man-band doing almost everything. In DMX world you have different processors working together and sharing a common cache (in a true SMP architecture).

385 Posts

August 6th, 2008 08:00

If you want more detail I'd suggest downloading one of the Product guides for a DMX or Symmetrix array (depending on your interest) which have some good detailed diagrams of how I/Os flow through the array. Some pretty pictures of all the components Stefano mentioned in his reply.

The following links for the DMX-4 for example:

Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Hardware/Platforms Documentation > Symmetrix DMX Family > Symmetrix DMX-4 > General Reference

Symmetrix DMX-4 Product Guide

The DMX-4 Architecture section and the DMX-4 operations sections in particular.

2 Intern

• 

220 Posts

August 6th, 2008 09:00

Thanks stefano for your wonderful answer.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

August 6th, 2008 10:00

I was seeking this guide but didn't find it .. It looks like I have to upgrade my search engine ;-)

1 Message

June 24th, 2011 23:00

Thanks for the link.

No Events found!