Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 7th, 2010 04:00

Thin devices and Thin Pools

can you please give me the details fo the following

How many thin devices can be bound to one thin pool? and

One thin device can be bound to how many thin pools.

(DMX-4 and VMAX)

217 Posts

October 7th, 2010 05:00

you will be restricting the number of device or size with the over subscription value. you need to set the over subscription value once you configure your pool. so that you say once you reach so and so percentage you will can not bind the device to the pool. I am not sure how many device we can bind to pool but you can only bind one device to one pool. if you want to bind to a different pool then you need to un bind it from the current pool and then bind it to the new pool. all your data will be lost so you will get a new raw blocks from the new pool when you start using.

859 Posts

October 7th, 2010 20:00

Hi Lakhsman,

There is no limit to the number of thin devices that can be bound to a thin pool or data devices that can be added to a thin pool. The only limit is 64000 which is the max number of devices you can have on Symm.

Thanks,

Saurabh

217 Posts

October 7th, 2010 23:00

Saurabh,

But that number includes all the device which symmetrix can Address, which includes data device, DRV device, Vdevs,save devices, tdev, thick devs. out these i guess we can only use Tdevs to bind to a thin pool.

859 Posts

October 7th, 2010 23:00

HI,

Yes, you are abosultly correct. The 64000 device limit is just a theoritical value. We all know that we cant add all devices to pool as we would need some for datadevs also. But to answer if there is any limit to thin devices in a pool? There is none...

Thanks,

Saurabh

54 Posts

October 14th, 2010 09:00

only 64000 hypers can be created in vmax or this limit can be extended ?

1.3K Posts

October 14th, 2010 12:00

64,000 volumes is the limit, including all types of volumes, however VMAX increased the volume size to ~250GB so hopefully you don't need as many volumes.

54 Posts

October 14th, 2010 17:00

64000 does this includes with all the prod device, snaps , clones ...?

how can i see how many hypers or volumes are used out of 64000 in vmax is there any command to see that ....

thnks for the help

1.3K Posts

October 14th, 2010 18:00

symdev list -all

will show you all the logical devices in the Symm.

There are some cases with smaller systems where it is not possible to reach the 64,000 because of other restrictions.

Again, with larger devices hopefully you never come close to these limits.

6 Posts

January 9th, 2014 03:00

u can use vLUN migration to migrate a TDEV from one thin pool to another. In that case u will not lose any data and its transparent to the host

No Events found!