Highlighted
8 Krypton

VMAX luns: Increasing capacity/migration not an option?

I have a 1.2 TB Raid5 meta device on a VMAXe and I simply wanted to increase the capacity from 1.2TB to 2TB.  This seems to be impossible in SMC. I know there "may" be SYMCLI commands to migrate the luns but from what I understand since it's protected via Raid5 the best option I have is to migrate to a Raid 10 or Raid 6 device and then migrate it back to the larger 2TB Raid5 device.  This doesn't make logical sense.

Since it's a meta, why can't I simply add in more same-sized meta devices?  It's absolutely easy-as-pie on a CX array in Unisphere to increase a lun's capacity without causing any issues to end-users or the server itself. I know the VMAX is an "Enterprise" class array and there are SYMCLI commands to get around this but it seems that this funcationality should be apart of the SMC console to help storage engineers and admins respond to urgent requests when a lun is reaching capacity and needs to be expanded.

96 Replies
ashes1
6 Indium

Re: VMAX luns: Increasing capacity/migration not an option?

I think in SMC under provisioning tasks, there is an option called "Add/Remove meta members" whihc you cna use for expanding your meta device.

Or alternatively you can use SYMCLI to expand the meat device. Use the following in the command file :

add dev <dev_name> to meta <meta_name>  for conacatnetaed meta.

or

add dev <dev_name> to meta <meta_name>, protect_data=TRUE for striped meta.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

In SMC, even though I have already created the same-sized devices that already exist in the META device, they do not appear as an option when trying to expand the meta device in SMC. There’s some issue with protected devices, from what I understand, that you cannot just “expand” a thin lun anytime you want on the VMAX (far different than a CX array). Wondering if someone has any insight if this is true or if I have to go full SYMCLI commands to do something like what I’ve mentioned.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

is this device a source for SRDF/Timefinder operations ?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Negative. Local “file share” meta device. 1.2TB currently and need to expand to 2TB. So far, having trouble using SMC to do it and though I can use SYMCLI, it appears EMC doesn’t want you to expand or modify “protected” devices.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I am not sure what you mean by “protected”

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

That’s what the devices are. Raid5 protected. I always create the devices as protected devices to keep people from possibly destroying business critical data.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Ok, there have been multiple threads in this forum how to expand devices/metas online while preserving data (using symcli)

0 Kudos
ashes1
6 Indium

What version of SMC are you using?

I am able to expand by R5 protected meta devices using SMC.

I am uing SMC 7.3.2.2

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Do you have the instructions for this somewhere?

0 Kudos