Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2015 02:00

dmx-4 no support data zeroing

Please help

We have EMC DMX-4 ,I array decommission next weekend, as we don't have support from, can you please help us to on the tools that need to shred the data to Zero, to decommission the Arrays.

I just need tool information for this array emc dmx-4

Please share ASAP

Thx

D.

June 15th, 2015 04:00

The array probably has to go back to EMC, especially if the DMX-4 was replaced by newer EMC equipment or superseded by another Vendor.

You can also hire one of the software vendors who can come out and zero-wipe the drives.  Not cheap, but a heck of a lot cheaper than shredding drives.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 15th, 2015 04:00

unless array needs to go back to EMC (highly doubt) it's cheaper to shred the drives using authorized data destruction company.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 15th, 2015 05:00

.20 cents per pound to shred drives, trust me much cheaper than 10k secure erasure engagement.

3 Posts

June 15th, 2015 05:00

Thanks for prompt reply which software vendor can I hire , can I do deletion from host side

like running disk part clean all will it wipe out the data competently

sincerely

Dhruv

3 Posts

June 15th, 2015 06:00

Hi Karl

Thanks a lot its bad emc dnt have it HDS have it

1.destory luns

2.create new luns please tell why I need to create news luns

luns that are already allocated can be deleted using DBAN or diskpart

clean all option ?

thx

Dhruv

1.2K Posts

June 15th, 2015 06:00

EMC doesn't publish the process to run the Data Erasure script.  it's a pay-for service from EMC or its authorized service partners.  If you want the process performed on your array, you'll have to pay for it.

Otherwise, your best bet is to destroy all the LUNs, create new LUNs and erase them with a freeware tool, such as DBAN.  Is it as good as a certified erasure?  No way.  But if you're not paying EMC to do it, this is probably the best you can achieve.

Let us know if that helps!

1.2K Posts

June 15th, 2015 08:00

I typically create new LUNs, just to attempt to change the array configuration in any way possible.  If you choose to re-write data on the already-allocated LUNs, there is always a greater chance to forensically reproduce the data that was once on the LUN.  Is this a very large chance?  No, but in the absence of actual encryption on the drive, there's always a chance that some cleartext data could be reproduced. 

Destroying the data with a software tool is always dicey, but it's the best chance you've got.

No Events found!