Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 18th, 2010 11:00

srdf failover

Hi All,

How can i failback a server which is failedover a long back.The problem is there are some devices allocated(while group is in failed over state) to this server(DR) those are not part of SRDF so now i have to create same size devices on the primary side and replicate data from R2 to R1(update until some tracks) and failback).Can we add the devices to device group in failedover state.Can someone give me the steps to do this.

Thanks

102 Posts

August 18th, 2010 11:00

We are using SRDF/A.

102 Posts

August 20th, 2010 06:00

Can anyone from the forum answer my question?It's urgent.

Thank You.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 20th, 2010 09:00

Hello  Praveen56,

When you are saying you are running in a failed over state do you mean you are running on the R2 side with the RDF links down ?

Or did you do a personality swap so now the R2 side is the R1 side and pushing data back to the old R1 side ?

102 Posts

August 20th, 2010 10:00

Bullop, Its running in failedover state that means no replication back to R1(links down and r2 is up).All i need to do is make r1 up and running.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello,

So I guess I do not understand the issue. You are in a failed over state. R2's are write enabled and running.

But you said you have devices that are non RDF? You should be able to do the fail back and go back to running

the orginal R1 to R2 replication. Are you saying you have devices on the R2 side that are not RDF but you want to keep

that data and make them RDF ?

102 Posts

Yes,Thats absolutely correct,There are two Non-RDF devices on R2 side which needs to replicate.  

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 20th, 2010 12:00

Hello,

That is a tough one. I do not think there is a easy solution for you at this time.  I know you want to add them into the current RDF group but at this time I do not think you can do that.If you want to keep the data you could make a new group with these 2 devices and have them be the R1 side ( You are on the R2 side now) and push back to the R2 side (Really R1 side), But then you would need to do a personality swap to get back to R1 and R2 side being the same as the other RDF devices. Then you could add them in to the existing group at a later date.That is a bit messy but may get you where you want to be. Is there anyway you could copy the data thru the host that you want to keep and then make these devices RDF to this group when you are back to a normal running state ?

102 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 11:00

Bullop,Can you please give a step by step procedure for this.Also is there anyone in the forums know a different procedure to do this.

Thanks

12 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 12:00

Hello Praveen,

I think at this point you should call into the support center for assistance. I would not want to tell you the wrong

thing to do.I wouldn't want to have you do anything that would have you lose any data. Sorry.

14 Posts

August 24th, 2010 18:00

Praveen was Support able to assist with this.

From what I have read I believe the cleanest way to have done this is as per below, however as per the last comment I would recommend you consult support before performing any of these actions

1. Do a swap , so this makes the R2 (Target)  the R1 (Source) and the R1 (Source)  the R2 (Target)

2. You can then add your 2 devices at this stage

3. Allow Devices to Synchronize

4. Perform a Failover

5. Do a Swap, returns back to your previous state, except now you have the 2 devices added, and the data from the orignal R2 is now on the original R1

102 Posts

August 25th, 2010 06:00

Hi, I already opened a case with emc as a low priority so still in the queue.Anyways what will be the replication mode if we perform a swap operation.

Thanks

No Events found!