Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 11th, 2011 16:00

vmax powerpath and aix mpio

Hi,

We are carrying out san boots for our AIX environments. The issue we face is with powerpath psuedo devices and the way AIx handles devices. Is there a way I can disable powerpath for my rootvg disks, have those disks under Aix MPIO control and have powerpath manage other data disks?

Thanks

62 Posts

Hi,

I think there is  Powerpath Commands to unmanage specific Device which will update the powermt.custom file in /etc direcotry so that devices are no longer managed by powerpath.

powermt unmanage {dev= | class= }

Rgds

Arif

19 Posts

I am thinking of doing the unmanage for devices. But can I have it under MPIO control after that? i.e. is it a supported EMC configuration to have few devices anaged by AIX Mpio and others by PowerPath (if it is possible).

62 Posts

July 11th, 2011 17:00

What Problem You are facing just installing the powerpath and No MPIO??

19 Posts

July 11th, 2011 17:00

Aix handles its bosboot operations with hdisks and the powerpath pseudo device hdiskpowerX is not known to AIX when used for san boot. When using MPIO you do not get a pseudo device.

Because the rootvg pseudo device is unknown to AIX we have to take it out of Powerpath control,reboot server and remove the additional paths before we can carry out any activity which involves bosboot operations, eg mksysb

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 12th, 2011 08:00

for that reason we went with rootvg mirroring of SAN volumes and told PowerPath to exclude those but use Powerpath for other volumes on the box.

19 Posts

July 12th, 2011 08:00

That is what I did this morning works good. Also went the extra mile created 3 masking views, 2 with just one initiator so the boot luns see just one path and then nested them for data devices. Any comments on how you have implemented it in your environment?

Good to know I not alone in this implementation strategy.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 12th, 2011 10:00

pretty much same thing you have, only our AIX box is still on DMX4 so i simply mapped/masked device "A" to FA 8a:0 and mapped/masked device "B" to FA 9a:0. Once i move to VMAX i will i will some something similar to what you have done. This is was just so much easier to implement, my sysadmin familiar with mirroring so it was piece of cake from his perspective.

10 Posts

July 17th, 2011 23:00

We have fixed the mksysb issue with "pprotdev fix" documented in emc63230.

Problem:

The bosboot -ad /dev/hdiskpowerX command fails with the following:

0301-154 bosboot: missing proto file: /usr/lib/boot/network/chrp.hdiskpower.proto

Problem: The pprootdev fix command has not been run
Fix: The pprootdev fix command allows the AIX bosboot command to function properly so that AIX now sees the rootvg as hdisks and not as hdiskpower devices when booting from the Symmetrix.  The pprootdev fix command does this by modifying the ODM data that other tools use to determine what devices the rootvg is using.
Notes: Even though the PVID is now on the hdisk devices, all I/O is channeled through the PowerPath device. The rootvg remains under PowerPath control, so all load balancing and multipath capabilities remain intact
No Events found!