Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2012 11:00

12Gs and power management through omconfig omreport

Anyone know if fanpower and profiles are supposed to work (in RHEL6/XenServer6) through system instrumention on the 12G servers?

I've tried on R620s and R720xds and the features seem unavailable.

---

/opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/omreport chassis pwrmanagement config=profile
Power Profiles

Error : Command unsuccessful

---

/opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin//omconfig chassis pwrmanagement config=profile profile=custom fanpowermode=max
Error! Hardware subsystem reports command failed. 

---

This stuff works in 6.5 on 11Gs, but fails on 6.5 and 7.0 on 12Gs. 

If anyone with RHEL6 or XenServer6 could test the command below on a 620 or 720, it would be much appreciated.

/opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/omreport chassis pwrmanagement config=profile

Thanks!

40 Posts

August 23rd, 2012 14:00

The only way to set anything other than power budget now requires a reboot into system BIOS.

Strangely, I just noticed yesterday that it looks like they've backported this behavior to some 11G BIOS, as the fanpowermode=max omconfig command doesn't do anything anymore. It doesn't just fail like a 12G, but fan speed does not change.

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

August 23rd, 2012 14:00

I'm having this same issue on a M620 running 2008 R2.  I am trying to get a script working during our images to set all the servers to the same settings, and this one will not work on the 12G box.

I am running OMSA 7.1 and I have tried to script it and running it manually.

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

August 30th, 2012 21:00

Chris - I sent this thread and issue over to our Dell OSE and he came back with the following.  I am working on some other testing with my M620 right now, so maybe you can try and confirm...

12G Servers -  OMSA7.x onwards the entire BIOS Setup(Configuration/Reporting) options are provided as output, grouped as per BIOS(F2) both in GUI & CLI.

Also the options such as pwrmanagement, memorymode, bootorder and their related attributes have been grouped under biossetup

The earlier commands related to report/config that are :

• omreport chassis pwrmanagement config=profile

• omreport chassis biossetup attribute=bootorder

• omreport chassis memory

• omconfig chassis memorymode opmode=

• omconfig chassis pwrmanagement config=profile profile=

• omconfig chassis memorymode opmode=

The above commands have been grouped under biossetup and changed as :

omreport chassis biossetup – grouped as memory settings, system profile settings, boot sequence under boot settings

omconfig chassis biossetup attribute=sysprofile setting = values can be known via Omconfig chassis biossetup -?

omconfig chassis biossetup attribute=memopmode setting = values can be known via Omconfig chassis biossetup -?

omconfig chassis biossetup attribute=bootseq setting = values can be known via Omconfig chassis biossetup -?

We do also have short names for all of the BIOS commands for 12G and these two attributes would read as SysProfile, MemOpMode, bootseq (this would help in terms of scripting/parsing the output)

Hope this helps, this is documented in the OMSA 7.x CLI Guide, refer Table 4-4

40 Posts

August 31st, 2012 09:00

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any mention of changing the fan speed in these settings.

You can apparently set their alert thresholds and report on how fast they are spinning, but it still seems like the only way to set them to max is to reboot the box and go into the BIOS.

The setting should probably be under SysProfile, but it's not. Not sure that it matters all that much anyway, since it appears that BIOS changes through omconfig still require a reboot.

$ sudo ./omconfig chassis biossetup attribute=SysProfile setting=PerfOptimized

Operation is under progress, it may take few seconds to complete...

BIOS setup configured successfully. Change will take effect after the next reboot.

Still no joy in 11G systems as well - not even a setting in the BIOS to use for fan speed adjustment.  There used to be an "omconfig chassis fancontrol" setting.

No Events found!