Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 27th, 2013 01:00

A few questions regarding OMS - iDRAC 6/7 combo

I am tasked to set up a OME server to monitor Dell servers in my company environment. I am quite a novice in OME, never use it before. I have a few questions here, I hope the gurus here can help to answer me.

The OME will be monitoring Dell server's with iDRAC 6 or 7, over SNMP or IPMP (not decided yet). We will not install OMSA, but only configure on iDRAC.

Based on a document that I downloaded from OME site, Dell OME ver1.1 User Guide:

1. OME - iDRAC via SNMP: Discovery, Correlation, Classification, Monitoring Traps/PET, Application Launch (RAC, Console, Warranty)

2. OME - IDRAC via IPMI: Discovery, Correlation, Classification, iDRAC Health, Application Launch (RAC, Console, Warranty)

Question 1: In OME, under Manage, there is 1 option called System Update. I suppose this is used to do firmware update for the clients. Does it mean that I cannot use this option in my set up (OME - iDRAC)?

Question 2: What is the Extensions about? Is it some sort of Add-on that can be install to work together with OME? I tried searching Dell form, but can't find much information. I saw 5 items under this Extensions, 4 can be downloaded. Where can I find more useful Extensions?

Question 3: Can my set up perform Remote Task?.

Question 4: If answer to Question 3 is yes, then can we make use of this Remote Task to make changes on iDRAC SNMP confguration of a client server that is being monitored by this server?

You help, opinions are much appreciated.

• 

8.5K Posts

June 27th, 2013 09:00

The system update task pushes the updates out using ws-man through the drac and then reboots the system. http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20217144/download.aspx starting on page 20 of this guide it is explains the process.

Here is some more information on the product, http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/1989.openmanage-essentials.aspx

Which extensions are you wanting to use, for the most part they are for integrating with other products such as Vcenter.

793 Posts

June 27th, 2013 17:00

You can use both IPMI and SNMP at the same time, and they both provide unique and useful functions.  WS-MAN is handy as well.  I highly recommend using all of them, but if you have to choose I suggest SNMP.  Bear in mind that some of the OME functions are built to work with OMSA, so if you don't install it there will be some things that won't work.  Also, you can't update drivers with the DRAC, you need OMSA for that.

6 Posts

June 28th, 2013 02:00

Thanks all for the replies. I can only have iDRAC, SNMP and IPMI for this set up.

May I know, can I run Remote Task? Can I make use of this Remote Task to make changes on iDRAC SNMP confguration of a client server that is being monitored by this server?

Thanks

No Events found!