Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2013 12:00

BIOS on R710 (running ESXi 5.1)

Hi -  I'm attempting to update the BIOS on an R710 Server running ESXi 5.1.  Here are the steps i've taken so far: 

1) Using Repository Manger, i exported the PER710 (Windows Bundle) as an "SUU to Directory" on a USB Thumb Drive
2) I copied Catalog.xml.gz and Catalog.xml.gz.sign to the \repository dir on the USB drive.
3) I booted my R710 Server in to the Unified Server Configurator
4) Select Platform Update and Launch Platform Update
5) Select Local Drive and selected the detected USB drive
6) It successfully scans and detects available updates
7) I select the BIOS update and Apply and i'm presented with the following error:

"The update packages that you selected to install failed during download or installation.  Retry the operation or provide an alternate repository."

Can anyone point out what i may be doing wrong?  I'm currently running iDrac6 firmware 1.95 (Build5) and Lifecycle 1.6.0.73.
Thanks.

• 

8.7K Posts

May 17th, 2013 13:00

Hi Lesgram,

If you are just needing to update the BIOS and not all of the firmware you can use copy the windows update package downloads.dell.com/.../R710_BIOS_VCNMH_WN32_6.3.0.EXE to the usb and point directly to that file from the lifecycle controller and not have to worry about the catalog files.

Did you copy the whole contents of the repository directory to the USB or just the update and the catalog files? It is looking for the update in the same folder as the catalog file.

3 Apprentice

• 

943 Posts

May 17th, 2013 13:00

another question for you, did you select WIndows files or Linux files during the RM SUU creation, because it MUST be Windows files.

2 Posts

May 20th, 2013 12:00

Thanks Josh.  I did not have the catalog file in the same directory as the updates.  Copied it over and everything worked like it should.

2 Posts

April 3rd, 2014 16:00

We download .exe file but it won't boot to it from ESXI host --dell R 710.

We have to download iDrac ISO and boot to it then load the BIOs 6.4 ( it is  .bin file) then it works

but I didn't do it so I need step by step how to update R710 BIOs for ESxi 5.1 host.

No Events found!