Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

23 Posts

July 1st, 2018 22:00

Commands To Configure OMSA (idrac 6 Version)

Hi,

Issue Description:- We have DELL OME to monitor DELL servers in our environment. I have configured the idrac’s so that they can send traps to DELL OME in case of any failures. I just got to know that idrac6 do not have functionality/Options to monitor Storage, since the Storage option is not visible in idrac 6 URL.

How can i monitor storage for idrac 6 version servers?

The only solution comes to my mind is to monitor the DELL Servers (Which are having idrac6) through OMSA.
Help required:- To configure the OMSA,SNMP as well as to send traps to DELL OME I have to do below 2 things:-

1) Configure SNMP Service on all DELL servers.
2) Configure OMSA to send SNMP traps to DELL OME.

I need your help in configuring the 2nd point. It will be a great help if you can provide the scripts/Commands to configure OMSA.

Also as checked from the documents. there is no way i can configure the OMSA -> Alert Actions -> System Event and Storage Event to send the SNMP traps to DELL OME.
I can only be able to send SNMP traps for Platform Events.

Is there a way around to monitor OMSA -> Alert Actions -> System Event and Storage Event via DELL OME.

Thanks

Ankur Mishra

• 

8.4K Posts

July 2nd, 2018 06:00

Ankurmishra,

The first things I would consider is to first make sure that each of the systems are up to date on BIOS, iDrac, and Raid controller. The next would be that the Storage element of OMSA was installed. So from the system that OMSA is installed on, go to the Add/Remove Programs page and under OMSA select Change, from there verify if Storage was included in the install. 

Lastly, what versions of OMSA and OME are you using?

Let me know.

23 Posts

July 4th, 2018 23:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply, but still Let me re-iterate this with some more explanation.

The main motive here is to monitor the DELL Servers hardware. I was in the impression that we can achieve this by configuring the DELL Servers idrac to generate alerts on any hardware failures and send them to DELL OME console which is further integrated to ServiceNOW to create tickets.

Few days back while checking the configurations, I got to know that there is no option to generate Storage related alerts whose idrac’s are on the version 6. I raised a case with DELL and they also confirmed that in idrac6, there is no option to generate Storage related alerts. The option is available from Idrac 7 version only.  They suggested me to achieve this via OMSA.

Now to configure OMSA and to have it send the traps to DELL OME, I have to perform below steps:-

• Install OMSA on servers:- Done
  • Configure Windows server SNMP/Trap Service to send the traps to DELL OME:- Done
  • Configuring the OMSA to generate alerts. Now this is the mail problem where all my question arises:-

If you see the OMSA url I did not find any option to generate alert in OMSA -> Alert Actions -> System Event and Storage Event.

Whereas I can only be able to send SNMP traps for Platform Events, since there is an option to generate alert. This option “Generate Alert” is not there in OMSA -> Alert Actions -> System Event and Storage Event, which means I cannot generate alerts specifically to Storage events when there is a hardware failure.

Now my question is, there should be some mechanism through which Servers having idrac 6 (Storage related Events) can be monitored. How can I achieve this level of monitoring ?

Is there a way around to generate alerts and monitor OMSA -> Alert Actions -> System Event and Storage Event ?

Thanks

Ankur Mishra

23 Posts

July 4th, 2018 23:00

idrac Snapshotidrac SnapshotOMSA_0OMSA_0OMSA_1OMSA_1OMSA-Platform Event.png

• 

8.5K Posts

July 5th, 2018 08:00

Hi,

What does it show for snmp traps?

No Events found!