Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 2nd, 2017 11:00

Dell H730 and H800 RAID cards in a Dell T630 but only H730 is showing in iDRAC and OMSA

I have a Dell T630 and have two RAID cards in it. A Dell H730 and a Dell H800. The system came with the H730 and I added the H800 later. Both show in the POST and I am able to configure both via CTRL-R during POST. I also have an iDRAC 8 which came with the original system. When I look in the iDRAC, the H730 shows but the H800 does not. I installed Open System Administrator for ESXi 6.5, and am able to connect to it via OMSA installed on a windows host. OMSA also does not show the H800 and therefore none of the virtual drives. 

If one of the drives in the device attached to the H800 goes bad, I will have no way of knowing since the iDRAC is unaware of the H800 even though it is working correctly and has storage attached., The H730 appears to be monitored correctly via the iDRAC and I do receive alerts from the iDRAC on it and it's virtual and physical drives. 

Why would the iDRAC not see the H800?

Update, I just logged into OMSA, and it says "No storage controllers detected.". I know the H730 used to show as available and now neither card is showing up although both are working correctly and both have virtual drives and physical drives attached.  The iDRAC does still see the H730 but not the H800.

Ideas?!

51 Posts

December 4th, 2017 07:00

So unless I am connecting the H800 to a Dell device, it will not be manageable from OMSA or the iDrac? Shouldn't the H800 at least show up in the iDrac and/or the OMSA even if it is attached to nothing yet? If I were to go with a Dell H830, would I also have the same issues? I guess I am confused why the iDrac also doesn't see the H800, even if the H800 isn't attached to anything yet. I would think it would show up under controllers cards. 

• 

8.5K Posts

Swspjcd,

The issue will boil down to compatibility. The T630 server could support an h800, but only if you're using to connect to specific devices. Yet while the H800 will successfully connect, it will not be viewable or manageable from OMSA, that would have to be from the controller BIOS. 

If you let me know what you are connecting on the H800, and we can get you a more specific answer.

Thank you.                                     

51 Posts

Ultimately I am looking for a way to monitor and be notified if a drive goes bad in the device attached to the H800 and since the iDrac can't see the storage controller at all, there doesn't appear to be anyway to do that. I have the H800 connected to a DS4246 right now and it sees all of the drives,virtual and physical,  just fine. 

51 Posts

December 5th, 2017 06:00

Can you tell me if the iDrac can't see the H800 properly is because they aren't the same generation? If so, would a H830 be able to be monitored via the iDrac (DRAC8) and show up in the DRAC GUI as a controller? 

• 

8.5K Posts

December 6th, 2017 05:00

The H800 is supported for controller and JBOD data migration purposes and does not have support for Dell’s 13G systems and storage management applications. Configuration and management of the H800 controller in 13G servers must rely on the preboot utility Ctrl-R and the PERC CLI utility due to that. 

3 Posts

April 30th, 2020 09:00

Hi,

I've taken over an installation that comprises of - 

1 x R420 PowerEdge Server with H310 mini embedded controller;

1 x PERC H800 Controller (PCIe) connected to;

2 x MD1220 fully populated enclosures.

Issue is that I'm unable to see the H800 from inside iDRAC and consequently the physical drives and raid config. Considering that this is all 12th Gen kit (I think?) should this be possible?

Rgds,

Mark.

2.9K Posts

April 30th, 2020 12:00

Looking at the parts list, the PERC H810 is the external controller validated for use with this model.

That having been said, if everything else is working, you might try restarting the iDRAC by holding the i button down until he fans spin to maximum.  You might also consider potential firmware updates.

Are you having any other issues with it, or just in the iDRAC? 

3 Posts

May 1st, 2020 04:00

Hi,

Issue is that the setup is located abroad and I cannot visit due to C19 restrictions in place and also reluctant if things go wrong remotely. If I look at the inventory list from inside the iDRAC, the PERC H800, MD enclosures and drives show up.

OMA running from a Windows VM does not work (seems a know issue with Server 2016) so can't confirm that either. Otherwise, no other issues. 

Just can't figure it out ...

Rgds,

Mark. 

No Events found!