Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

August 5th, 2013 15:00

How to upgrade firmware on R510 - vmware ESXi 5.1 - Cannot connect to iDRAC

I am having a hard time at the moment on trying to figure out how to upgrade the firmware on one of my R510's.  I have tried everything I can think of so I am reaching out for tips/advice/etc.  Mostly I want to upgrade my iDRAC firmware (and any related necessary firmware) because I cannot connect to my iDRAC (express) and am hoping a firmware update will fix it.

I have tried connecting to it with racadm tools on my workstation but I always get an error saying that it cannot connect to the IP address.  This morning I reset my iDRAC to the default config.  I test pinged the IP address I was going to re-assign to it.  No ping replies.  So I re-assigned the IP, and now I can ping the IP address.  However and attempt to connect to it with racadm, ssh, or web browser result in no connections.

So this morning I downloaded and created a bootable usb with this ISO:  R510_v470-9ee9fccf86a3a036f6bb193a26a53fc9.iso

When the iso runs on my server I get a lot of mounting errors.  I've also tried the following ISO's with the same method, only get errors.

cdu_1.6_core_173_A01.iso

sbuu_2.3_350_A00.iso

I was able to update my bios to 1.11 (was prev 1.9), but none of the other firmware updates on the dell site will work with a DOS based like the bios update.

What else can I do/try?

• 

8.8K Posts

August 5th, 2013 16:00

Redemptionmatt,

There are a couple options you can do. You can update the server via the Lifecycle COntroller (F10 on start up) Or you can download these 2 ISO's

Build and Update Utility (BUU) -

Server Update Utility (SUU) -

With those you will boot with the BUU till you get to the menu, then you swap out the BUU ISO with the SUU ISO and then select platform update. That will update the entire server.

Let me know how it goes.

August 5th, 2013 22:00

Redemptionmatt,

You can use Lifecycle Controller GUI to update all your in system components firmware. Lifecycle Controller can be launched by pressing F10 in the Bios Post. Upon launching GUI, go to Platform Update --> Launch Platform Update. Select ftp server as source and connect to ftp.dell.com.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Balaji

August 6th, 2013 08:00

Last night I tried the SUU & BUU methods and those did not work.  Errors during the iso launch, just like the other Dell iso's.

I've also tried the Repository Manager by using the ISO method and the Lightweight Deployments scripts.  Both of those failed.

Yesterday I did go into the LifeCycle Controller GUI but I do not remember seeing anything to run updates.  I can check that again later today.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

August 6th, 2013 08:00

Yet another option is to download the Repository Manager and let this build a bootable update ISO for your R510. You then boot the server to this ISO (burnt to a CD or DVD or mount the ISO via the DRAC) and it will do all system updates for you.

2 Intern

• 

793 Posts

August 6th, 2013 18:00

Have you tried using the Lifecycle Controller (LC)?  You'll need to hit F10 on the Dell splash screen, then give it appropriate network settings for your LAN.  After that the Platform Update option should be able to download the correct firmwares for your whole server.  If your DRAC is having problems, you may need to drain flea power to get it to reinitialize and try the LC again since the DRAC enables some functions on the LC.

No Events found!