Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 29th, 2014 07:00

OpenManage Can't Install Server Instrumentation

I'm installing OpenManage Server Administratror across our servers, mixture of different PowerEdge servers and Windows OS's. It's installed and working fine on some but not on others. The issue is with the install, the Web Server is installing ok but Server Instrumentation and NIC Interfaces aren't even showing as options and so aren't installed. I've checked the versions of OpenManage are correct for the hardware and OS and everything else I can think of. Feel like I'm missing something simple?

261 Posts

August 29th, 2014 16:00

Hi Jon,

Are you using OMSA version 7.4?  On the systems that are failing, are they VMs? as we've seen similar issue when accidentally installing to VMs. 

Try this. For OMSA install issues, you can install OMSA using the .MSI file instead of the setup.exe.  When you use the .MSI for installing OMSA, you can use some parameters to  specify the install log location.

1)      Download and extract OMSA

2)      Go to a command prompt and navigate to C:\OpenManage\windows\SystemsManagement

3)      msiexec.exe /i SysMgmt.msi /l*v "C:\openmanage\logs\SysMgmt.log"

This will place the install logs in the C:\OpenManage\logs folder.  

Let me know if you can send me the logs. I will send you my email. 

Have a great weekend. 

261 Posts

September 11th, 2014 10:00

Hi Jon,

Did you get things sorted out? I sent you email also to see you were able to get those logs.  Let us know if you figured it out. 

4 Posts

September 18th, 2014 08:00

Hi Bo

Thanks - all sorted now.

A couple of the servers were VM's, the others I was eventually able to install ok.

Jon

6 Posts

March 9th, 2019 14:00

Hi,

I’m encountering two (2) problems when installing OSMA on a Windows Server installation which is running in an ESxi VM:  (1) When installing OSMA, I don’t see any of the options for *Server Instrumentation* or *Storage Management* in the custom installation option, etc.,  and (2) I cannot login to OSMA after installation (only the Server Administration Web Server available for install). 

I am doing a short term setup with an 11th generation Dell server equipped with an H700 card.  The entire H700 RAID is passed direct through to an ESXi 6.0 VM loaded with Windows 2008R2 Server.   I just need OSMA to manage the H700 RAID.  The setup was for convenience.  I can upgrade to more recent ESXi  or Windows Server if needed

Problem 1:   When installing OSMA (8.5 or 9.1) with the custom option, I only get the *Server Administrator Web Server* option, nothing else.  A typical installation choice works but I suspect that it only installs the OSMA web server.  I’ve tried manually invoking the SysMgmtx64.msi (with msiexec.exe) as discussed in the above posts but I get the same effect.

Problem 2:   I cannot log into the OSMA Server Administration Web Server.  I’ve tried IE, Firefox, and Chrome. I’ve tried variations (from past forum postings) of the following: (a) changing the browser path from [domain]:1311/ to localhost:1311/, (b) domain and IP address for the VM, (c) [domain]/Administrator and ./Administrator as the username.   I’ve rebooted.   I get *Login failed…..connector error*   I get into the OMSA Web server manager only (via the Manage web server link at the bottom of the OSMA login window) but I don’t see any server components like the H700

Help. Thanks.

2.9K Posts

March 12th, 2019 07:00

Hello,

Installing OMSA onto a VM will not allow you to manage the hardware. The process to achieve what you're looking for is going to be a bit more involved. There is a package of OMSA that is built for ESXi, you'll need to install that onto the host itself. It does require a reboot, though. Once the package is installed onto the host, then you can install onto the VM. The instance on the VM is going to act as a client, while the instance on the host will act as the server. You'll just need to use the client to select "Manage Remote Node," then navigate to the host. 

Looking at our download page, it looks like the last OSMA version 2008 R2 supported was 8.5. If you stick with that version of Windows, I would keep working with OMSA 8.5. The newer versions are more geared towards working with newer iDRACs anyway. 

Finally, the login issues. I'm not sure what would be causing the issues you're experiencing. What you should be able to do is login using the credentials of the ESXi host. You might consider getting everything laid out like this, then trying again, so you can see if you get different behavior.

6 Posts

March 18th, 2019 06:00

Hi DylanJ,

Thanks.   Could you please clarify your reply, specially providing links to documents (or more detailed reference) to what I need to install in the ESxi 6 VM running WS2008 R2 (and with the H700 passedthrough/VMDirectPath I/O passed directly to the VM).   I've investigated further with more details below.

What package for OMSA 8.5 for ESXi should I install in the T610 host? ("There is a package of OMSA that is built for ESXi, you'll need to install that onto the host itself...The instance on the VM is going to act as a client, while the instance on the host will act as the server. .")

Reiterating, I have the H700 passedthrough/VMDirectPath I/O directly to the ESxi 6 VM running WS2008R2.   The T610 host will not see the H700.   

Investigating further, I wasn't able to login to the OSMA8.5 install because only the web server part was installed in the VM.  None of the other OMSA components such as   *Server Instrumentation* or *Storage Management* installed.   There was no custom install option selected because the installation systemcheck doesn't detect that the VM is a Dell server.

Thanks

JY

No Events found!