Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2015 16:00

PowerEdge 2950 error message: I1912 SEL full - how to VIEW the log

I have the error message scrolling on the LCD. I know I can go to the OpenManage Server Administrator and clear the log, but how can I VIEW what's in the famous log before clearing it? And if I clean it without viewing what's in it, how can I go check it in a day or two to see if something's happening? I can't find and answer to this anywhere on the web...

Thanks!

• 

8.5K Posts

August 12th, 2015 18:00

Hi,

You can use the DSET utility to create a report and it will have the log. http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/article/Product-Support/Self-support-Knowledgebase/enterprise-resource-center/Enterprise-Tools/dell-system-e-support-tool

You can also go into ctrl+E during post to view the log.

• 

8.5K Posts

August 14th, 2015 12:00

The ESM and SEL log are the same log.

14 Posts

Gotcha, thanks. 

The log is full of regular entries: An OS graceful shut-down occurred, OEM software event, C: boot completed, repeat. So this is normal procedure - informational events fill the log and every once in a while it gets full and needs to be flushed?

14 Posts

Thanks for your reply. I ran both a Basic and an Advanced report and I don't know where I should be looking. I found Embedded System Management (ESM) Log, which is not the one I am looking for.

• 

8.5K Posts

August 14th, 2015 13:00

Yes, that is correct. It slowly gets events over time. If there are not any errors you can just clear it.

No Events found!