Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2020 19:00

PowerEdge R900 cannot recognize Micron 128 GB SSD by Server OS.

Why can't the  R900 Server with Server 2012 cannot recognize the  4 X Micron 128 SSD drive which I installed and created a Virtual Disk 0.

The System boots and I press F11 to select boot option. The DVD begins the OS process once I enter "Install" - The message I get is Install the drivers for the CD-/ DVD or USB by clicking "Browse" . 

Which drivers are the OS trying to locate at this point ? Is it the hard drive (/micron) because this is not a brand listed on the Dell Spec Data Sheet. ?

Any expert experienced advise and support will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance. 

Jaco. 

October 29th, 2020 06:00

Thanks moderator, the goal of my effort is to Install Windows Server 2012 R2.The reason Windows 10 pro came into this conversation is (Tested with windows 10 pro) and that OS worked on PE R900. 

Anyway, I will be trying the iso mentioned by previous group member (Charles). Hopefully it will be able to identify the drivers and install the Server 2012 R2.

Keep you all updated of the outcome and thanks for the collaboration.

AJ

• 

631 Posts

October 26th, 2020 00:00

Hi, you'll need to create a VD on the RAID you're using. Hope this helps and have a great one.

October 28th, 2020 12:00

Hi, Thanks a lot for your feedback and support. In reply I was able to create the VD0 on the PERC6i. All 4 drives shows "Online" after Initialize with RAID5. But somehow I boot the Server with Windows 2012 R12 Server and also (tried with Server 2003 just for double checking). In both case the system goes to the initial screen of server loading files (Which means the DVD Drive is working) it prompts to Choose "Install" 2012 Server OS. I click that and following message comes up " Load Driver - A media driver your computer needed is missing. Then more it says it could be a DVD, USB or Hard Disk Driver. If you have the CD or DVD load it. I am now using Seagate SAS10K Hard drive from the recommend list. 

How can I attach a picture to this to show the screen I am showing as message. At this point my diagnosis is this OS is unable to locate the RAID 5 VD0 and that could be a driver related problem. I am not sure if this is PERC6i or SeagateSAS driver or something else. 

I downloaded the following from Dell support page and copied to USB stick and renamed the .exe to .Zip file.

SAS-RAID_Driver_W3N37_WN32_2.0.0.0162_A05

TEAC_DV-28S-V-12-7-TRAY-SATA_A04_R262157

FRMW_WIN_R171947

But the OS does not seem to find what it is looking for. Any other advise from your experience will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks a lot for your initial response.

• 

3.7K Posts

October 28th, 2020 13:00

Hello Anil,

That is strange. When it ask Load Driver, it is looking for the PERC controller driver. The PERC6i has native supported driver in WS2012R2.

When you created your array did you initialize it?

Is your PERC firmware out of date?

To post an image: While you are creating your post there should be a tool bar. Look for the camera icon to attach photo.

Alternately you can user our Dell Systems Build and Update Utility, v2.4

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=yh0gx&oscode=w12r2&productcode=poweredge-r900

Burn the iso as an image to DVD, boot to the image and follow wizard for OS install.

page 12: Installing Microsoft Windows 2012 (64–bit) Using SBUU ISO

https://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_software/esuprt_ent_sys_mgmt/esuprt_ent_sys_mgmt_sys_build_updte_util/dell-systms-build-and-update-utility-v2.4_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

Please let us know how it goes.

October 28th, 2020 15:00

Hello Charles,

Thank you a lot for the quick response in supporting with guidance and efforts to diagnose the issue. Meantime I have some good news. I was able to install Windows 10 Pro successfully using USB bootable during this it did not prompt for the same driver window. Attached is the picture of the Message "Load Drivers"

When you created your array did you initialize it? The RAID5 is initialized and online

Is your PERC firmware out of date? I doubt that - Ver 6.3.3.000 and BIOS 1.2.0

As soon as the download is completed I will burn and retry install using Server 2012 R2. Keep you posted with the progress.

Rgds

Note: The file that is displayed is when I had previously downloaded some SAS Seagate Drivers - But that did not do any good for Server install. But for Windows 10 Pro install I did not get the prompt at all for drivers. 

IMG_20201028_150608.jpg

Anil Jacob.

• 

631 Posts

October 29th, 2020 00:00

Hi, we do not support Windows 10 hence, no device driver I'm afraid.
Ver 6.3.3.000 and BIOS 1.2.0 are the latest so far. Hope this helps and have a great one.

No Events found!