Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2003 14:00

SNMP Setup

I've got CIM/DMI up & running on all of my systems and everything looks good in that everything is discovered and is properly idenified.  However I am having trouble with Alerts.  I have a system that has been discovered, and has a green check mark, that has a failing fan.  The OpenManage client knows this, as it pops up a message box on the client machine saying so, however it does not send an alert to ITA.

The ONLY Alerts I get in ITA are when a case has been opened and when the amount of free hard drive space drops below a certain amount (which is wrong, I get alerts for this like crazy, and the machines have tons of free hard drive space).  Anyway, I installed SNMP on the client with the bad fan, setup public with read/write rights, gave it the host name of the box running SNMP and let it go.  I still don't get any alerts about the fan, but if I start and stop the SNMP service on the client, I get alerts in ITA saying what's happened.  So it can set alerts, but it doesn't.  Any ideas?

20 Posts

December 5th, 2003 10:00

Hi,

Presuming you're talking about non servers: OMCI does not use SNMP. The only way you can get "additional" alerts (for example, fan failure) into IT Assistant is to configure the IT Assistant Event Management system for it. My understanding is that CIM will then be instructed on the client system to raise an alert for that event - something it otherwise would not do by itself.

By enabling SNMP on the client, Windows SNMP alerting is enabled - but not Dell client instrumentation alerting.

No Events found!