Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

January 18th, 2017 18:00

Server PowerEdge T420: what the correct procedure to update all firmware and drivers for Windows 2011-SBS

The server has been self-rebooting every so often. I have not reseated the mem and the proc yet but plan to it first. While I am at it I would like to update all the firmware and drivers.

I would like to have a step-by-step instruction, if available, for the updates. Just want to make sure I don't do something wrong or out of order.

Also, I heard that updating the firmware on the power supply can be a tricky process and crash/fry the unit. I am not sure why but if you could shed some light I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 19th, 2017 07:00

Also, I heard that updating the firmware on the power supply can be a tricky process and crash/fry the unit. I am not sure why but if you could shed some light I would appreciate it.

Never seen or heard of that. Run a file, update the firmware ... usually as simple as that.

You could run the updates all separately, starting with the iDRAC, then BIOS. Always update driver before firmware for others.

You could also run SUU from Windows, use SBUU/SUU in a bootable environment, or use Repository Manager to create a bootable ISO to update the firmware for the machines you have.

3 Posts

January 19th, 2017 10:00

Thank you for your response.

1. The issues having to do with the power supply firmware update was disclosed by a Dell support person with whom I was on the phone. Being to one to determine the warranty status and transfer me to purchase support, I can't say if he was speaking from a point of specific knowledge. He just said that I ought to be careful. 

2. Re updates: I decided to go the manual way (separate installs) so that I am aware of what is happening at every step. Will you please let me know if there is a Dell application for download that lists the outdated drivers and firmware in a system. I know that there must an order in which these are installed/applies (ie drivers before firmware as you suggested) and I want to make sure that I am doing it correctly.

If such application does not exist, will you please let me know what is the best manual way to identify drivers and firmware that require updates?

Thank you.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 19th, 2017 12:00

SUU will show you current version, latest version, but it is a huge download, and once you have already downloaded it and run it, you might as well use it to update the firmware from the OS.

Just update the iDRAC/LCC first, then BIOS, and the rest don't matter.

Most firmware levels are available in OMSA, then you can compare with support.dell.com for the latest.

No Events found!