Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2009 23:00

iDRAC6 Differences

Can anyone tell me or point me to something that specifically details the differences between the iDRAC6 Express and Enterprise options available with the R410 or RR610?  Whats the Vflash 1GB SD Card for?  Thanks.

1 Message

September 9th, 2009 01:00

Try the following link:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

The main difference I can see is Express is missing virtual media & virtual console

272 Posts

June 8th, 2011 13:00

Hi Ken, I'm not a regular on this forum but just saw this post via a Google search.

Here's a chart that lists the differences between iDRAC6 Express and iDRAC6 Enterprise

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Basically iDRAC6 Express lacks some of of the advanced features of Enterprise such as access to the remote RACADM (Remote Access Controller) Administrator command line tools, a dedicated NIC port, PK Authentication for SSH, and Virtual Media / Virtual Console functionality.

The vFlash card provides onboard storage that can be used for a variety of purposes - you can boot to the vFlash or expose it to the operating system so you can store things like drivers.  You need iDRAC Enterprise with vFlash to have access to this functionality.

More information on vFlash here:

www.delltechcenter.com/.../Dell+vFlash+feature+on+iDRAC

As stated in the paper, vFlash now supports capacities up to 8GB.

Another feature of the vFlash is part replacement, where you can back up the firmware of system components such as network cards, controller cards, and even your motherboard.  If a part needs to be replaced, the LifeCycle Controller tool will provide you the ability to load your firmware versions and information back on to the replacement part.

For videos outlining these features, check out:

www.delltechcenter.com/.../Lifecycle+Controller+Demos

No Events found!