Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2013 10:00

iDRAC6 with shared LOM - can't access web login from same machine

I've got a PowerEdge R410 (BIOS 1.11) with iDRAC6 Enterprise (firmware 1.95).  I have the DRAC set up to share with LOM 1.  I can access the DRAC's web interface from another machine on the LOM 1 network, but can't access the DRAC web interface from Windows running on the same machine.

I was reading the documentation on iDRAC security and it says something about the DRAC network being isolated from the LOM network internally for security reasons, so perhaps this behavior is normal?

• 

8.5K Posts

July 1st, 2013 10:00

You should be able to access the iDRAC from the local server, can you ping the iDRAC ip address? Do you have server administrator installed? What browser are you using? Are you getting timeout errors on the web page? Is the idrac on the same subnet as the production network?

• 

8.5K Posts

July 1st, 2013 15:00

If this is the only nic port in use most switches by default will not send and receive data to the same port, so this behavior is normal. You should be able to use the command line tool racadm locally to access DRAC information, but the webpage is probably being blocked by the switch. So it is a limitation of the shared NIC but not from the NIC/DRAC hardware.

56 Posts

July 1st, 2013 15:00

I cannot ping the iDRAC IP address from the same machine, however it does respond to pings from another machine on the LOM 1 network.  Note that I can ping an iDRAC 6 on another machine on the same LOM 1 network.

OMSA 7.2 is installed.  Server OS is Windows 2012 Standard.

Browser: firefox/chrome/IE, same problem, the DRAC login page does not appear, page times out.

The iDRAC is on the same subnet as the production network.

793 Posts

July 2nd, 2013 17:00

What do you need to do on the DRAC?  If racadm doesn't cover it, and even if it does, can you install OMSA and do it that way?  Also, if you have the Enterprise DRAC can you use the dedicated NIC instead of sharing LOM1?

56 Posts

July 2nd, 2013 19:00

The setup is for 2 servers being located at a remote datacenter connected back to back via a single Cat5 on LOM 1 (the private "LAN").  The LOM 2's will be connected to the internet.  I don't need to introduce a switch and 4 cables into the equation if I use the iDRAC shared LOM scenario.

It's not a big deal, I was just curious if this is normal behavior or I was missing something in the configuration.  As long as I can power cycle one server from the other (which I can do now) I'm ok with that.

No Events found!